We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I bring a power adapter?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
antioch
Level Contributor
1,786 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Should I bring a power adapter?

Looking on Amazon the have these TYPE G power adapters (for UK and Asia) for around 6 bucks that supposedly work for US electronics (tablets, cameras, phones)

somewhat confusing stuff, i'd rather not burn out a tablet or a hotel or two.

Edited: 20 July 2014, 18:56
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I bring a power adapter?

It's a plug adapter for use on dual voltage electronics (not for high wattage - hair dryer, curling iron, etc.) Yes Type G, but note whether you need a grounded or ungrounded (does your power cord have 3 or 2 prongs). You should be able to find them cheaper than $6.

For example:

batteryjunction.com/sevenstar-ss405-uk-2wire…

http://www.batteryjunction.com/brplad.html

If they are the same price, just buy grounded plug adapters as they will work for both 2 prong and 3 prong appliances.

If you have multiple electronics, perhaps one plug adapter and one of these: bhphotovideo.com/c/product/434482-REG/Monste…

Edited: 20 July 2014, 19:07
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I bring a power adapter?

I have seen some people also recommend this with the USB ports (you will still need a plug adapter): bhphotovideo.com/c/…alsVwDtl

Usually the 3 prong plug adapters are more costly than the 2 prong, as here;

3 prong bhphotovideo.com/c/product/666360-REG/Watson…

2 prong bhphotovideo.com/c/product/483050-REG/Impact…

Which makes the price at Battery Junction pretty good as the 3 prong is on sale at the same price as the 2 prong. If shopping at the Battery Junction, might be a good idea to pick up a good flash light (torch) to carry around in the evenings. This is my EDC and I can recommend it: batteryjunction.com/streamlight-88031.html

antioch
Level Contributor
1,786 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I bring a power adapter?

thanks for the info,

looking at my tablet and camera plug info they are 2 prong 110v -220v so i guess these simple adapters will do the trick and keep things nicely powered

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I bring a power adapter?

Yes, the chargers for almost all modern electronics are dual voltage (110v-220v) so only a plug adapter is needed.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,658 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should I bring a power adapter?

All those mentioned appear to be illegal to import into or use in the UK as plug pins are not sleeved and/or appear to be unfused. Even fused would be illegal if the fuse is not certified to BS1362 - which it's unlikely to be.

Visitors may not appreciate that UK sockets are usually on 32 amp circuits and rely on the fuse in the plug or adapter to provide protection to the appliance cord and appliance.

A safe and legal adapter is widely available in the UK at under £5

argos.co.uk/static/…9827590.htm

Herndon, Virginia
Level Contributor
131 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should I bring a power adapter?

I got this off Rick Steve's site for $1 on sale yesterday. If they don't work, it's worth the gamble and I'll get get another one.

travelstore.ricksteves.com/catalog/index.cfm…

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
714 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should I bring a power adapter?

http://www.batteryjunction.com/brplad.html

This one meets UK standards as it has sleeved pins and a fuse, the 1st one doesn't.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,623 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should I bring a power adapter?

I have two adapters very similar to that available at Argos - I got mine at Boots and at Maplin. I have a multi country fused adapter as well, purchased at Maplin. All three are the business - with sleeved pins - and my electronics have been safe to use overseas.

I'm not sure I'd trust my laptop to the adapter shown in post six. One gets what one pays for.

London
Level Contributor
839 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Should I bring a power adapter?

I got mine in a pound shop! They had ones for US/UK and vice versa, and UK/Continental.

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Should I bring a power adapter?

>>One gets what one pays for.<<

Yes, and you have to be careful. I recently found that I had bought an illegal multi-socket extension adaptor from eBay. I didn't use it, got a full refund, and reported the seller to the authorities, who have hopefully stopped them selling these death traps. I was just astonished that one could buy illegal electrical goods on a reputable website like eBay. So be careful!