We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London to Isle of Guernsey

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
London to Isle of Guernsey

My ancestors came from Guernsey, and when we are visiting in May 2015, my mother (75) and myself would love to visit. I was thinking going by train from London and then ferry or would it be better to go to Paris and do train and ferry from there?

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,513 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London to Isle of Guernsey

the quickest way is to fly !

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: London to Isle of Guernsey

Just get a plane - Gatwick's probably easiest but there are several others

If you really want to go by ferry then train from London to the port

Going via Paris would be madness - like flying from Sydney to Melbourne via New Zealand

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,586 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London to Isle of Guernsey

I would fly personally but the Main in Seat 61 has an alternative, you certainly don't need to go to Paris to get there:

seat61.com/ChannelIslands.htm#.U84X_EA1DlE

http://www.flybe.com/cheap-flights/guernsey/

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,838 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London to Isle of Guernsey

The air travel market to and from the Channel Islands is highly competitive, with the following airlines flying to Guernsey from various UK Airports. Flybe fly from London Gatwick whilst Aurigny Air fly from London Gatwick and Stansted. Also Blue Islands fly from London City Airport, connecting in Jersey.

Flybe and Blue Islands also fly from Southampton, which is an alternative well worth considering. Southampton Airport Parkway rail station is right next door to the terminal, and is served by two fast trains per hour from London Waterloo which do the journey in just over an hour. Southampton Airport is small and much easier and quicker to negotiate than the major London airports.

Also there are flights to Guernsey from a number of UK regional airports so you don't necessarily need to come back to London to fly. And if Paris was on your itinerary anyway, you can get to Guernsey from there.

The sea routes are Portsmouth to Guernsey by conventional ferry, or Poole to Weymouth via fast ferry, with occasional departures from Weymouth by fast ferry. All these are operated by Condor Ferries: http://www.condorferries.co.uk/

Tenterden, United...
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London to Isle of Guernsey

As your time will be fairly limited I would not waste time taking train and then ferry, you are looking at losing just about a whole day. Flying is quicker and less hassle.

6. Re: London to Isle of Guernsey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2015, 06:16