We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gatwick Airport to Tottenham Rd

Brisbane, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
Gatwick Airport to Tottenham Rd

Hi There,

Coming to London in August and staying at the Radison Edwardian Grafton on Tottenham Rd and not too sure what the go is with getting from the airport.

I understand that I can get the tube from Victoria Station and if I get off at Warren St the hotel is not too far away. Do I need to get any sort of bus from Gatwick Airport to Victoria Station or is it close.?.

I know you can purchase tickets in advance for the Gatwick Express??? Does this cover both the transport to the station and the train? About how much are train fares and would it be worthwhile purchasing in advance or just on the day?

I have looked into shuttle transfers but they seem pricey and the consensus seems to be that traffic slows up the journey and the train is quicker.

Can anyone advise me on the best way of getting to our hotel and also what it might cost?

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath from...
5,358 Reviews
from US$131.10*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
2,128 Reviews
from US$139.80*
US$155.40
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros Harry Potter Admission...
515 Reviews
from US$118.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
477 Reviews
from US$349.20*
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,047 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Gatwick Airport to Tottenham Rd

< Tottenham Rd >

Tottenham COURT Road - Tottenham Road is in Hackney and several miles away from where you want to be

Don't use the GEX, it's expensive for what is a 5-6 minute faster journey. Gatwick Airport is 30 miles from central London and has it's own station

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,388 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Gatwick Airport to Tottenham Rd

You sound geographically challenged.

Gatwick Airport is 30 odd miles outside London.

There are trains into London - the Gatwick Express and others. The train station is at the airport - no need for transport to it.

Generally not worth it to buy in advance - tickets that are cheaper are for fixed trains and of no value if you miss it.

Exception - buy Gatwick Express online from the Gatwick Express site and you get 10% off and don't have to specify a train - just date. ill more expensive than the 'rival' Southern service that is only marginally slower

Edited: 22 July 2014, 11:06
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,047 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Gatwick Airport to Tottenham Rd

As for getting from Victoria to hotel - Victoria Line to Warren Street or taxi

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Gatwick Airport to Tottenham Rd

londontoolkit.com/travel/gatwick_transport.h…

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Gatwick Airport to Tottenham Rd

At Gatwick, make sure you take a London VICTORIA service as there are several London bound lines running through and the others do not connect with reasonable transfers to Warren Street.

No advantage to pre-booking fares, or using the Gatwick Express service over the regular Southern trains.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,458 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gatwick Airport to Tottenham Rd

I would catch a First Capital Connect train to St. Pancras, and then catch the Metropolitan, Circle, or Hammersmith & City lines to Euston Square, which is also near-by the hotel. Two reasons 1) It's cheaper, and 2) getting onto the Victoria line at Victoria is a nightmare as there are always tons of people, and the trains (which are small deep level stock) are always rammed too.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,388 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Gatwick Airport to Tottenham Rd

Wouldn't a transfer at Farringdon be easier?

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Gatwick Airport to Tottenham Rd

Oh true - if Euston Square is just as convenient for the hotel, I would also get the First Capital Connect train towards Bedford and change at Farringdon. I didn't look up the hotel's exact location before replying, was going only on the Warren Street recommendation.

Although the Victoria line at Victoria is not always that busy. Don't usually have a problem getting a seat outside of peak hour. It's also such a fast line that it's not one I'm personally bothered about how busy it is.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,458 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gatwick Airport to Tottenham Rd

>>Wouldn't a transfer at Farringdon be easier?<<

Yeah.

>>Although the Victoria line at Victoria is not always that busy. Don't usually have a problem getting a seat outside of peak hour. It's also such a fast line that it's not one I'm personally bothered about how busy it is.<<

Every time I go that way, what ever the time of day, it is always rammed. Chances of finding a seat ime: zero. Especially with luggage I'd go the other way.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,458 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gatwick Airport to Tottenham Rd

Also there are no lifts at Victoria, which means negotiating the escalators.