We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long?

Ithaca, New York
Level Contributor
141 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
How long?

How long would it take to get from Chelsea to Victoria Station and then the train to Gatwick? How much time before take off with an international flight, should we be checked in at Gatwick? We leave on a Saturday in September at 13:00. Is that 1:00? Thanks for your help!

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,550 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long?

I live in Chelsea - it normally takes around 15 mins by taxi to Victoria

I would aim to leave London 4 hours before flight

2. Re: How long?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 22 July 2014, 16:29
Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,009 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long?

Chelsea covers quite a wide area so an address or hotel name would help as would the actual date in case of rail engineering works or (possibly) Chelsea home games. It may make more sense to go on an Overground train via West Brompton or Imperial Wharf and change at Clapham Junction rather than via Victoria.

If your flight is at 13.00 (yes, 1.00pm) then you should be looking to check in around three hours beforehand.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
19,748 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How long?

Yes 13.00 is 1.0pm. I apologise for my earlier response which was a bit rude and I have now deleted.

Edited: 22 July 2014, 16:31
Illinois
Level Contributor
16,674 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How long?

To convert from the 24hr clock (13:00), you subtract 12. 12:xx is noon+ and 00:xx is midnight+ .Anything 12:00 or over is PM. Apologies if you knew this already.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
26,138 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How long?

Always allow more than enough.

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How long?

First, note that prices will range from £10 to £19.90. There is a train from London Victoria at 0900 arriving at 0930 (price £19.90). This is a safe bet if you want to be certain of not being late. There is then a train at 0909 (price £15), which doesn't get in until 0955, which personally I think it a bit close for what should be a 1000 check-in time. There is a train at 0917 which is a little faster and actually gets in at 0948, and this is the cheapest at £10. As I am both always anxious about being late and always keen for a bargain I personally would go for the 0851 which arrives at 0922, also £10. The other part of your question is harder to answer, as "Chelsea", as stated already, is not specific enough.

I am rather confused that you seem to have posted much the same question on this thread a few weeks ago: tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k756… Were you not satisfied with the answers there? On that thread, as here, you didn't state from which hotel you will be departing. That is the crucial piece of information which we need. I am still confused about why you have started this thread when there is another open thread dealing with almost exactly the same question, but maybe there is a reason for it.

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How long?

Hello, Edwy, just wondering whether you ever came back to read the advice given here and on your other, almost identical, thread.

Ithaca, New York
Level Contributor
141 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How long?

I do apologize for not writing and thanking all of you for your help. And, I'm sorry about the previous thread that was so similar. I appreciate the kind advice from both of them and look forward with huge anticipation to my visit to Great Britain. Thank you!

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How long?

Good to know we were of help. If someone doesn't ever write back then we're left wondering whether we failed to give very good advice, so it is great to know your query was sorted. I hope you have a great trip. :)