We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

OLD Large 50 pence coins: Are they still spendable in UK?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
14 posts
259 reviews
Save Topic
OLD Large 50 pence coins: Are they still spendable in UK?

Hello:

Anybody knows if the old, large 50 pence coins (minted before 1997) are still spendable in the UK ?

Thanks everybody.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: OLD Large 50 pence coins: Are they still spendable in UK?

Any advice? Do you think it is OK to leave them as tips

-----

No I think it's disgusting and insulting and you should be ashamed to even ask such a question here.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,786 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: OLD Large 50 pence coins: Are they still spendable in UK?

I think larger charities in general will use them if donated - Oxfam mentions that they will also take currencies that have been replaced by the Euro as these have some value to them. So if you can be bothered to bring them over I suggest you donate them..

Southampton, UK
Level Contributor
1,320 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: OLD Large 50 pence coins: Are they still spendable in UK?

It is worth mentioning that the £1 coin will be replaced by a new design in 2017. While the current coin will be accepted for a year or two after that, it would be worth visitors not keeping them if they do not plan to return to the UK for a while.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-26632863

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,205 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: OLD Large 50 pence coins: Are they still spendable in UK?

Any advice? Do you think it is OK to leave them as tips

====

Agree with Joe, that's the lowest of the low. Totally scummy. How would you like it, wherever you live (say the USA, Canada or Australia) to be tipped in something worthless?

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,833 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: OLD Large 50 pence coins: Are they still spendable in UK?

I have just checked on Ebay, some large 50Ps are selling for more than face value.

http://goo.gl/w1ptki

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises
Level Contributor
45,937 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: OLD Large 50 pence coins: Are they still spendable in UK?

I'm sure that most service staff would prefer not to receive anything over having an old demonetised coin. I'm sure it would be regarded as quite insulting, at the very least laughable.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
13,244 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: OLD Large 50 pence coins: Are they still spendable in UK?

Indeed the best thing is to donate them to charity as they can sell them on for either scrap value or as collectables if they have intrinsic value. Charities will take any obsolete coinage/currency at their shops & there are usually collecting facilities at main airports but the latter might only be intended for your leftover currently viable currency. Better to benefit a charity than insult hard working & probably low paid service staff.

Perhaps the OP might consider how THEY would feel if they paid for something with say a £20 note & were given change which included £1 notes, 10 shilling notes & sixpences.

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
11,794 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: OLD Large 50 pence coins: Are they still spendable in UK?

I completely agree with the previous posts above that say that even thinking about bringing them to the UK to get rid of them as tips is utterly repugnant. How would you like it if someone gave you a gift of say chocolates that on closer inspection were over 15 years past their use by date ? The idea is a horrible one.

Large "foreign coin" collection points at museums and airports may have some way of getting some value from them so you could donate them that way ( at home or in the UK) - if not, just throw them out or start a coin collection but don't contemplate passing them on in such an underhand fashion

19. Re: OLD Large 50 pence coins: Are they still spendable in UK?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 26 July 2014, 11:35
Level Contributor
14 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: OLD Large 50 pence coins: Are they still spendable in UK?

Thank you to you all. In particular, the member who suggested that these coins are worth more than Face value. Indeed they were. They were sold to a local coin dealer for 3 X Face value. So, we made a little money here, And now we will tip with the new cheaper version new coins. Thank you to all.