We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London 6 Day Itinerary Advice?

Saint Louis...
3 posts
Save Topic
London 6 Day Itinerary Advice?

Hello! I hope someone can help give me some advice about the itinerary I have planned for me and my mother.

I am studying abroad in London for the fall, but my mom is coming to spend a week with me before I move into my dorm. I'm a 20 year old girl and my mother is 55.

I have made a rough itinerary for our 6 day trip, but as I obviously don't know the area I was hoping maybe someone could help me rearrange it to make the most sense time-wise?

All the activities that are included in the London Pass have to be done on day 2, 3 or 4 (London Eye, Tower Bridge Exhibit, Westminster Abbey, Tower of London Tour, London Zoo, Curzon Cinema movie, Globe theater, and London Bridge experience). As you can tell, we're planning on getting started early every day but I'm not sure what we should do with evenings after dinner.

I would also love any food suggestions or other places you think we should go!

DAY ONE SUNDAY SEPTEMBER 7th

- Get into London around noon

- Check into hotel, get settled

- Walk around near hotel/explore area

- Dinner

- Need something for evening?

DAY TWO MONDAY SEPTEMBER 8th (LONDON PASS)

- Breakfast

- Ride the London Eye early morning (LP)

- Double decker bus on/off tour all morning and early afternoon, will see: Big Ben/Parliament, Tower of London, St. Paul’s, London Eye, Buckingham Palace, Tower Bridge, Trafalgar Square, Piccadilly Circus, Westminster Abbey

- Will GO INTO Tower Bridge Exhibit and Westminster Abbey (LP)

- Eat lunch somewhere along bus tour

- Harry Potter walking tour @ 2PM (Comes with Bus Tour)

- Hotel/clean up

- Dinner

DAY THREE TUESDAY SEPTEMBER 9th (LONDON PASS)

- Breakfast

- Tower of London tour (LP)

- Lunch

- Regents Park to London Zoo (LP)

- Hotel/clean up

- Dinner

- Movie at Curzon Cinema (LP)

DAY FOUR WEDNESDAY SEPTEMBER 10th (LONDON PASS)

- Breakfast

- Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre (LP)

- Tate Modern Museum?

- Go walk around Borough Market, eat and explore (Open until 3pm)

- London Bridge experience (LP)

- Hotel/clean up

- Dinner

- Need evening event?

DAY FIVE THURSDAY SEPTEMBER 11th

- Breakfast

- National History Museum

- Shopping all afternoon at Oxford Street and Carnaby Street

- Eat lunch while shopping

- Dinner

- Hotel/clean up

- See musical in West End @ 7:30pm

DAY SIX FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 12th

- Breakfast

- Harry Potter Studio Tour @ 10 am

- Afternoon Tea @ Ritz, Dorchester, or Claridges at 3:15pm

- Shopping at Westfield & Kings Road

- Dinner

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you so much!

British Museum
Art Museums, History Museums
Churchill War Rooms
History Museums, Historic Sites, Military Museums
Natural History Museum
Natural History Museums, History Museums
Imperial War Museum
Military Museums, History Museums, Speciality Museums
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,642 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London 6 Day Itinerary Advice?

Taste is personal but London Zoo, London Bridge experience (tacky house of horrors) and the Tower Bridge exhibit (hydraulics) aren't worth bothering with IMO and especially to justify the expense of the LP.

You might be better off with the2for1's (see article top right). Other than that I think some of your timings are over ambitious e.g. HP Studio tour and tea and Westfield and Kings Road. Logistically virtually impossible to do in one day.

A rethink called for.

Edited: 26 July 2014, 15:44
Saint Louis...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: London 6 Day Itinerary Advice?

I thought that last day might be a little overambitious! I'll try to readjust the schedule.

Thank you for the advice about those places not being worth it! I love Zoo's so I want to do that, but the Tower Bridge exhibit and the London Bridge experience can be skipped (: Looks like it may not make sense to get the London Pass after all!

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,642 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London 6 Day Itinerary Advice?

Looks like it may not make sense to get the London Pass after all!

---

It rarely does especially for 2 people. Check the 2for1's at least and see if they are of interest. They are mostly more flexible so you aren't penalised if you change your mind/run out of time/energy and you get more time to do lots of world class free stuff.

http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/2for1-london

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
6,991 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London 6 Day Itinerary Advice?

Hoogoo has compiled a spreadsheet on the London Pass - the thread may have started in 2011, but the spreadsheet is current, so don't be put off:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k449…

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,642 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London 6 Day Itinerary Advice?

I think the big problem the spreadsheet doesn't really help with is the lack of flexibility with something prepurchased (LP) and the time needed to fit stuff in. It isn't just a straight cost comparison.

Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,656 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London 6 Day Itinerary Advice?

Two things stand out: the London pass is not worth it for you; and you are trying to cram far too much in - you will need a rest of about a week after all that, not a strenuous college term! Also the Hoho bus tour is expensive and offers no real advantage over the ordinary service buses (on which you may get to meet some real Londoners, not just tourists from 47 countries!)

Los Angeles...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: London 6 Day Itinerary Advice?

Six days is not a long time to see all these things on your list and I feel you and your mum will be very stressed out trying to do all these things. I am an avid TripAdvisor reader and trip planner. I organized an entire 3 week tour of Italy for myself and 3 friends a few years ago using the valuable info from TA contributors and my research and I was so pleased that it all came off without a hitch. I also will be visiting London for 6 days in Sept. With my 2 20-something dtrs and have been working on a London itinerary for us. I recommend this: get together with your mum, prioritize and make a list of the top sights you really want to see and then secondary sights in case you have time. Then decide which ones you want to explore more because you may want to go on a tour of that place. This list should be tailored to your personal interests. Most of the tours can take 2-3 hours, plus you may be tired from walking around that long and looking at so much. Fatigue physically and mentally can burn you out as a tourist fast, so I never schedule more than 2-3 major activities in one day and I try to have a nice lunch, afternoon tea or pub visit in between to get recharged. After you make a list of the top places you want to visit, go on google maps and look at a close up map of London. Schedule places to see that are closest together for each day so you are not wasting time and energy running back and forth across London. Once you list the things you want to do and places you want to visit, you can use TA to research any deals or advice others have to give. (Maybe your mum can help with the research.) For instance, One TA contributor suggested just to take the #15 red bus, not a tour bus to see the same famous landmarks, and take the regular ferry down the Thames, not a pricey tour boat. London is a very expensive city, so I opted to save my $$$ on these tours and using the 2for1 deals, purchase other tours. I also changed my itinerary to include Hampton Court as a result of reading a trip report from a TA contributor. (Thanks, teacher91!). After I decide what I am seeing and where I will be for that day,then I research pubs, teas, restaurants close by in the area I will be in. I read the reviews on TA and I also read food blogs. I try to avoid the touristy places to eat, frequently the food is not good and the prices are higher. I enjoy dining more with the regular folk who live in the area, not tourists. If you don't have the time or inclination to research restaurants, just ask Londoners where they recommend and you probably won't go wrong! In Italy, we walked right past the touristy restaurants on the edge of the hill towns and explored the interior of the towns, asking the inhabitants of the town where to eat. We had some great meals! Hope this helps you with your trip planning and that you and your mum have a fabulous time together!

Saint Louis...
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: London 6 Day Itinerary Advice?

Thank you to everyone for the advice! I will definitely do some more research and talk to my mom about what is doable and what isn't. I appreciate all the help.

Rutland, UK
Level Contributor
6,480 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London 6 Day Itinerary Advice?

I'm sure it's a typo but on Day 5 you want to visit the Natural History museum not the National History museum.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: London 6 Day Itinerary Advice?

For day 6, you are ambitious having tea at a hotel at 3..15 pm - although the HP studio is not far outside London, the trip door-to-door will not be less than 1 hour I expect, and I read that some people spend 6 hours at the studio (not been yet!). And although some shops will be open until 8 or later on Friday, many will not so you would have to rush tea in order to go shopping. Avoid Oxford Street for shopping (except Selfridges). Regent Street is closer to Carnaby Street and that area now has interesting quirky boutiques whereas Oxford Street is mainly chainstores.

Other museums are in the same area as Natural History - Science Museum can be fun and the Victoria and Albert has interesting arts and crafts, if you like that. Kensington Palace is also walkable from there.

The best day for Borough Market is Saturday although it is most busy then. There are wine bars and restaurants nearby.

You can find special offers on Timeout and Top Table web sites for restaurants but make sure you check the details and locations carefully.

For evenings - London Walks does evening walks, if you are up to that. An evening stroll along the South Bank of the Thames from London Eye or National Theatre can be nice. Lots of theatres in London of course. Some museums have late opening on Thursday, Friday or Saturday - check in advance. Or you could get a view of London from one of the bars in the skyscrapers. The week you visit is the final week of the classical music Promenade concerts, if you like that. Go on a river tour. There is always loads to do in London - get a free copy of the weekly Timeout when you arrive to see a sample.

London Pass - I find when I get passes for other cities, that they affect what I choose to see. Lots of museums in London are free anyway so I suggest that you decide where you want to go, and then consider whether the pass is worthwhile.