We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London taxi when we arrive or book a car service?

Wiesbaden
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
London taxi when we arrive or book a car service?

Is it better (more convenient, cheaper, ect.) to use any taxi service when I arrive in London or should I book a car service before I arrive? The quotes I'm receiving are 40 pounds, one way to Paddington Station area.

It will be me alone with my 3 year old. While I'm sure public transportation would be cheaper I am nervous about navigating it for the first time with her and our luggage by myself.

Prince Edward...
Level Contributor
978 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: London taxi when we arrive or book a car service?

Car service is the way to go for all the reasons you have listed. I recently used Blackberry and was very pleased with their service

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London taxi when we arrive or book a car service?

Or you could take the Heathrow Express to Paddington, which will be cheaper as the little one will be free and then if your hotel is not within walking distance take a cab at the station. End cost will be similar but you wont need to prearrange anything.

Arizona
Level Contributor
42 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London taxi when we arrive or book a car service?

+1 for Blackberry Cars

We used them in June for an arrival at LHR. Email communication was very prompt in the booking process, they checked our flight arrival and adjusted for a 3 hour delay. The Driver also was very polite and prifessional.

Can't compare with other car services but I would book with them again.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London taxi when we arrive or book a car service?

Just my comments about Blackberry cars....

This outfit was a joke. But I should have known you get what you pay for! I found their info on the forum on TA and it seemed that reviews were good so I took a chance to save a bit of money on an otherwise expensive trip. Not a good idea! I had pre-arranged for them to pick us up at Heathrow and upon arrival they were nowhere to be found. I called them and they said the driver should be there and we were told to wait which we did for 15 minutes until he showed up. When we got to his car, we discovered it had no air conditioning. On a hot day in London and after a long day of travelling this was not a welcome surprise. Our driver also did not seem to know our hotel or where it was located as we had to provide him the address c/w postal code so that he could find it on GPS. I would have thought he would have been informed where his pickup was going to be going before he picked us up as I supplied all of that information when I booked online.

The return trip back to Heathrow from our hotel was not much better. We had pre-arranged a 6 am pickup and at 6:05 still no sign of him. Had to call again and wait for him to arrive. Once he did arrive, he drove like an absolute madman – I am quite familiar with crazy drivers in places like Istanbul, Athens, Naples etc. and this was nothing in comparison. There is driving fast and then there is driving fast and stupidly unsafe. My daughter and I were very concerned that we would arrive alive. I have never been so happy to get out of a car!

Do yourself a favour and call another company for ground transport in London. This operation does not seem to employ professional drivers, just randoms. Next time I would rather spend a few extra dollars and be assured of a safe, reliable and comfortable drive.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
99 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London taxi when we arrive or book a car service?

We have used Exclusive Airports 4 times now and they've been very reliable, etc. If you book online in advance you get a discount of several pounds. I'm very comfortable recommending them to you while traveling with your daughter.

6. Re: London taxi when we arrive or book a car service?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 August 2015, 05:15