We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gatwick Express with return

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Topic
Gatwick Express with return

Im trying to book online "group return" tickets at http://www.gatwickexpress.com for 4 adults. Depart date 29 aug and return date 31 aug. So I select these 2 dates at the website.

I select "group return" with the following comment in it "Valid witihin five days of the date selected and return on any day within 1 month". First i don't really understand the first line "Valid witihin five days of the date selected" plus when I select this option, I see the depart date on those tickets is 29 aug and return date is also 29 aug. Question is, can I use the same tickets to return at 31 aug?

Question 2 is, whats the difference between "group return" tickets and "return anytime" tickets?

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,080 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gatwick Express with return

Where exactly are you heading for? GEX is seldom the best option.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Gatwick Express with return

At 29 aug from Gatwick airport to Victoria station (10am) & 31 aug from Victoria station to Gatwick airport (6 pm).

Searched GEX at Google. Don't know what that is.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,322 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gatwick Express with return

keesss,

GEX is an acronym for Gatwick Express.

Bungle's question is where are you ultimately going in London? There are other (much cheaper and just as fast) train services that go to other stations (not Victoria) and so depending on your ultimate destination that service may be better.

GEX is also rarely good value, although with four people traveling together the 4 for 2 offer (still available for GEX) may be okay. But if the other service (Thameslink/First Capital Connect) is better for your destination then I'd take that.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,831 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gatwick Express with return

GEX = Gatwick EXpress. Have a look at the Southern trains, just a few minutes slower and cheaper, see http://www.southernrailway.com/

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Gatwick Express with return

A group return is a ticket that offers a discount for several people.

It looks as though you are being offered a reduced price anytime return for your group ticket. That ticket is valid for 5 days for the outward journey and one month for the return trip - but there's nothing to stop you returning the same day.

You don't get reserved seats - GEX doesn't do them

As others have said, there are better ways of making the journey - most of which also offer a group discount

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Gatwick Express with return

Thank you people! Thats alot of usefull info. Final destination is Leicester Square on day 1. I will look at the other options. I believed the whole time that GEX was the only way from Gatwick to the city :)

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,683 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gatwick Express with return

Good job you asked on here then.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,341 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gatwick Express with return

Rather than empty your pockets for GEX tickets, take a First Capital Connect train to London City Thameslink station. Four adults may travel from the airport to central London for £26.40 or for £35.60, with the latter fare including one day Travelcards (very likely a better bargain all around). Use the Ludgate Hill way out at City Thameslink station (it is step free from train platform to street level) and hail a taxi for the short journey to Leicester Square; taxi fare will be about £10.

On 31 August take another FCC train from London Blackfriars to Gatwick. Four will travel for just £19.60.

At what time of day do your flights arrive and depart on 29 and 31 August?

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Gatwick Express with return

arr: 29 aug 09:05

dep: 31 aug 20:00

I appreciate your tip TravellerPlus. I will look if this option is ok for us.

Haugesund...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gatwick Express with return

WARNING! Really bad costumer service! Do not travel with Gatwick Express unless you are really certain that you are going to use your ticket, because they make it really hard for you to claim a refund…

Me and my wife were traveling from Norway to America with one night stop-over in London both ways. I bought two “Anytime Return” tickets from London to Gatwick online before I realised that it would be much more convenient to travel with a regular train from our hotel to Gatwick. I called costumer service (not easy to get through!) and asked if it was possible to refund the tickets. They checked my reference number and confirmed that the tickets were refundable. I was advised to NOT pick up my tickets at London Victoria as it then would be easier to claim a refund online without need of mailing any unused tickets. This could be done within 28 days of the expiry of the tickets’ validity.

After my journey back home in Norway I searched for the “Refund Form” on their webpage without finding it. I called costumer service (long waiting time with repeatedly advertising) within the deadline for claiming a refund. However, I was told that they would reject my refund claim, so no point for me to proceed. He told me that I had to go to London Victoria Station, pick up the tickets and then return them through post with the completed form. This was impossible to perform within the 28 days limit, hence my refund application would not be considered.

I explained to him that I was advised to NOT pick up the tickets to avoid returning them by post. He could not answer for that. It is also stated in their conditions that if you have not collected your tickets, they will process the claim without having you to collect the tickets…

So at the Costumer Service there are liars and I would call this a fraud. Gatwick Express stole £44.70 from me.

You have been warned….