We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kensington Gardens to Gatwick Airport early

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
27,412 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
Kensington Gardens to Gatwick Airport early

I've been searching and this seems much more difficult than I thought so would appreciate some help.

I hope to be staying in Kensington Gardens beginning of November to meet a friend and will need to go from there to Gatwick Airport and arrive about 7am so I'm going to be travelling much earlier.

Bus for me is free but it looks to be an horrendous journey. I was hoping to avoid the tube with a suitcase but even that looks complicated to a novice and this was supposed to be a relaxing trip.

Any advice on the best & easiest way to get there?

My other option is to book a hotel at Gatwick for the night before but that would mean either trundling a suitcase all day or sitting in an airport hotel for a large portion.

All seemed like a good idea at the time to fly when I was already in the area but I'm beginning to wonder.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Kensington Gardens to Gatwick Airport early

Kensington Gardens is a large park - I'm sure you are not camping in it so where exactly is the hotel?

The advice is likely to be the same though - taxi or night bus(es) to Victoria Station, then train from there. They run all night. You will be too early for the tube if you want to be at Gatwick by 7

When you say free bus travel you don't mean the National Express service do you? I didn't think pass holders got that free

London
Level Contributor
9,939 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kensington Gardens to Gatwick Airport early

You didn't mean a bus all the way from Kensington Gardens to Gatwick did you? The road journey from central London to Gatwick is utter purgatory. A train from Victoria will save your sanity. There is a 0615 train from Victoria that gets to Gatwick at 0645 - fare £15. There are buses into Victoria from various places, and many will be running from 0500, but it depends exactly which street you'd be starting from.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,073 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kensington Gardens to Gatwick Airport early

Not ideal, but you could bus or tube to the likes of London Victoria and store your bag there while sightseeing for the day. Collect bag and train to Gatwick.

http://www.left-baggage.co.uk/locations.php

I've stayed at the Gatwick Yotel a couple of times - tiny, pod rooms but with very comfy beds and great showers. Inside the South Terminal itself.

Somerset
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,412 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kensington Gardens to Gatwick Airport early

Thanks. Wow that was quicker than I expected. No floks I'm not camping, though with London hotel prices it's a thought. Yes I realised the bus trip (real bus) was unbeliveably bad. What I expected really.

Kennydon, thanks for the tip about left luggage, very useful. Also you experience of Yotel. Duly noted for the future. I do have a good B&B with free transfers at Gatwick but more choice for different events, always good.

I have a choice of two hotels but friend staying in Kensington Garden Square (sorry I cut that short) and I found a good price there rather than walk from the other which is the Prem Inns at Earls Court and Kensington. Getting a bus or walking at night on 1st Nov I thought might be a bit scarey, hanging around at bus stops - and if it's raining.......

Even the bus from KGSq seems to take a long time. So I could treat myself to a taxi as it's a birthday trip. The site keeps offering me 4am so I'm not sure if I'm getting the right fare. It says around £13. Could anyone confirm that if you have time? And how do I go about getting one booked? I don't have a phone.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,707 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kensington Gardens to Gatwick Airport early

Do you mean £13 for the train to Gatwick? Sounds about right.

If you do want a hotel at Gatwick I can recommend the (new) Hampton by Hilton. based on recent experience. 2 mins from the check in area in the North terminal and about another 5-6 via the Shuttle to the South terminal. If you can check in bag drop the night before (depending on airline) it's worth it IMO.

Edited: 31 July 2014, 14:32
Somerset
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,412 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kensington Gardens to Gatwick Airport early

Thank you Park&walk, always open to new suggestions.

The £13 was for a potential taxi from Kensington Gardens Square to Victoria - where I would catch the train. Something I never do normally and not sure how I go about booking a taxi as I have no mobile phone.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Kensington Gardens to Gatwick Airport early

If you are in a hotel reception will book you one. And if it's a posh hotel there may well be a phone in your room. If not, there may be a payphone in reception.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,114 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kensington Gardens to Gatwick Airport early

>>And if it's a posh hotel there may well be a phone in your room. If not, there may be a payphone in reception.<<

"Posh" hotel? A room phone is a standard feature isn't it? Never stayed in one without.

Somerset
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,412 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kensington Gardens to Gatwick Airport early

I have. No posh hotels for me in England......currently anywhere else.

I know it sounds daft but I've only taken a local one and we just walk over and ask. Fingers crossed my cheapy hotel will do this.

Just thought there may be a taxi rank nearby but I guess in the age of mobile technology they barely exist.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kensington Gardens to Gatwick Airport early

>>>>"Just thought there may be a taxi rank nearby but I guess in the age of mobile technology they barely exist."<<<<

Are you kidding??!! In the last three years in London and other parts of England, I've seen more taxi ranks than I can shake a stick at.

Of course, if it's raining on a Friday at 5pm, you won't see any around. ;-)

https:/…book-a-taxi