We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

natural history museum - best time to visit

wales
Level Contributor
117 posts
190 reviews
Save Topic
natural history museum - best time to visit

Hi,

I'm visiting London at the end of September when all the kids are back at school. Obviously London is always going to be busy and full of tourists but can anyone advise as to whether its best to visit the museum on a weekday or weekend.

I know that sounds like a stupid question! - I had assumed it was common sense to visit on a Monday as opposed to a weekend until someone told me that it will be packed with school trips on weekdays. (I'll be there Friday afternoon till Tuesday morning) Also , am I better arriving just as it opens or going later in the day and stopping till closing time?

Thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
384 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: natural history museum - best time to visit

The natural history museum is huge, so even if it is busy, there is plenty of room. You might have to queue for the dinosaurs, but it'll be ok. I'd get there early, the school trips don't arrive till 10 ish ( I know, being a primary school teacher!)

Don't forget the science and the V&A museums- pop in and out of them, they're free.

wales
Level Contributor
117 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: natural history museum - best time to visit

Thank you juka,

the science museum was the other reason for my visit. Been meaning to visit both for years just not got round to it.

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,675 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: natural history museum - best time to visit

Got nothing to base this on, but suspect that late September is not peak time for school trips.

Natural Museum does tend to be busier than the Science Museum when I visit so do them in that order and get to the NHM for opening.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: natural history museum - best time to visit

I agree that the Natural History Museum is so vast, it can never really feel too crowded once the entrance halls are navigated. We did get in without any wait during our visit. Instead of getting into the line at the front and main entrance, we were directed to the side entrance on (I think) Exhibition Street and we walked right in! Have a great time!

London, United...
Level Contributor
384 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: natural history museum - best time to visit

As for September not being a busy time for school trips , I disagree. Primary schools often kick off the term's topic work with a visit.

Others finish the term with a visit...it's always popular with schools, whatever the month.

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,675 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: natural history museum - best time to visit

"As for September not being a busy time for school trips , I disagree. Primary schools often kick off the term's topic work with a visit.

Others finish the term with a visit.."

And 'late September' is in the middle of the term, hence avoiding those starting the term with a visit and those finishing the term with a visit. No doubt there will still be school parties there, but maybe comparatively not as many.

7. Re: natural history museum - best time to visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 August 2015, 06:16