We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lonon

Odessa, Texas
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Lonon

I have changed hotels and we will be staying at the Qbic Hotel London City....When we arrive at Heathrow, we will arrive at Terminal 5. Can someone tell me how to get from Terminal 5 to our Hotel.

Please and Thanks!

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Lonon

It looks to be a short walk (7 minutes per its website) from Aldgate East tube station so Piccadilly Line to Hammersmith or Barons Court at either of which there's an easy cross platform change to the District Line. Most trains will go to Aldgate East though a few may terminate short of there

London
Level Contributor
417 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lonon

The cheapest way is by the underground (tube) train from Heathrow T5 station.

Take the Piccadilly (Blue) line from Heathrow, get off at South Kensington, change to the District (Green) line going east bound and get off at Aldgate East.

Come out of the station and head east (turn right), walking along the main road (Whitechapel road) for 200 meters, you should see Altab Ali Park on your right, once you have walk past the park turn right into Adler Street and your hotel is 50 meters down the street on your left.

…qbichotels.com/en/hotels-london-city-tower-…

London
Level Contributor
417 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lonon

Go with what dzug1 said as Transport For London has suggested changing lines at Hammersmith station.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lonon

The change between the two lines is much easier at Hammersmith or Barons Court - just a few yards on the level. Doing it at South Kensington involves quite a trek coming up from a deep level tube station to one almost on the surface.

The Piccadilly line dives underground after Barons Court - the District Line stays on the surface

Edited: 04 August 2014, 00:58
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,617 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lonon

Another vote for a change of train at Hammersmith, never at South Kensington. Sit at the front of the District line train and use the way out at Aldgate East for the Whitechapel Gallery *not* the way out to Toynbee Hall. The hotel is on the east side of Altaf Ali Park as above, almost across the road from bus stop D at Osborn Street: https:/…aldgate-east-280714.pdf Stop G is very handy for buses toward the city centre as well, with plenty to chose from at Aldgate station as well: https:/…aldgate-fenchurch-street-280714.pdf

Odessa, Texas
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Lonon

Thank you so much for all your help ladies and gentlemen! We had another hotel, which was easier to reach just at Earl's Court but found this hotel to be cheaper and with great reviews and since we won't spend much time inside the room, found it more convenient!

Now, if I can just book a tour of Buckingham Palace :)

Odessa, Texas
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Lonon

Also, I think I asked before but it was a while back. Should we get a London Travelcard or just an Oyster Card? Should we go ahead and order it online with some cash loaded on it already?

Thanks!

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,155 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lonon

Whatever you decide, please do not order the Oyster card in advance. You can only load it with Pay As You Go rather than a combination of PAYG and 7 day Travelcard which is what you need should you be staying for five days or more. Plus it's a hassle to get a refund for any unused credit.

Odessa, Texas
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Lonon

We will be in London 3 days. Do I just purchase the Oyster PAYG at Heathrow? About how much do I load on it for 3 days worth?

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,707 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lonon

I would load £25 and top up if you need to which would cover the journeys to and from LHR and travel within London. Unless you are interested in the 2for1's (see under top questions) in which case the answer might be different.