We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calling back to Oz

Sydney
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Calling back to Oz

We are travelling to the UK In December for 3 weeks and would like to know the most economical way to call back to Oz.

My 87 year old mother in law has a land line and a mobile ..but no internet .

We previously had bought a Vodaphone SIM in NZ which gave us heaps of talk time for very little cost.

We will have our mobile and are staying with friends ...so some land line use but we don't want to run up their bill !

We usually call her about every 2nd day...so this could rack up quite a bill

Thanks !

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,910 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Calling back to Oz

Look at Skype and similar tools.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
636 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Calling back to Oz

I agree that Skype would be a good way to call Australia. You can buy some credit and call a landline or mobile through the Internet. When I was in Belgium this past April, I called a friend in Manchester. I also called some friends in the USA .

Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Calling back to Oz

If she has a mobile can you install Skye/Viber or similar on?

Call between you could then be free.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Calling back to Oz

You can get a pre paid SIM which will have low calling rates to Oz, a few p a minute, ask in carphone warehouse.

Or get a calling card which has low rates and use that from your friends house phone.

Vail, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Calling back to Oz

Try www.simlocal.co.uk

They have shops at terminal 1, 2 & 5 at heathrow with international sims. I have bought one there for travel to the USA.

Vail, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Calling back to Oz

I should also mention that I emailed them ahead if time to reserve the one I wanted so they set it aside and had it waiting for me when I arrived. I live local so I just swung by to pick it up.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,352 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Calling back to Oz

If you are staying with friends then a call-through service is probably most useful. You call a 'premium rate' UK number and then onward call to Aus.

You will be charged from the second you connect to the UK number even if the Aus number is unavailable.

There's a comparison list at

…moneysavingexpert.com/intcallchecker/…easy

Do get your friend to check with landline provider they use and what the appropriate call rates are at various times of day. Non-BT landlines can sometimes heavily surcharge this type of number. If your friend has online billing make a quick call then get your friend to check the actual cost of the call.

If you call direct to Aus on a BT line call cost is up to 32p a minute.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
16,167 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Calling back to Oz

I'm visiting from the US and have a Skype subscription for $3/month for unlimited calls back to the States to landlines and cell phones. Your MIL does not have to have Skype, you just call her on her normal phone. This has been fine from most places in the UK where I have a good wi-fi signal, but it was unreliable in a couple of places with weak wi-fi. (The calls drop, she hears noise on her end, etc.) This has saved me a fortune, as I have a SIL I have to check-in with every night -- for an hour or so! Check out a similar Skype subscription back to Oz....

9. Re: Calling back to Oz

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2015, 06:16