We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leaving UK

Port Macquarie...
2 posts
Save Topic
Leaving UK

I currently have a one-way ticket to London from Australia for the end of this month (August). I am returning to Australia in October but am unsure of which day. I am aware that it is best to have a return ticket before I head over to London to satisfy the UK immigration authorities of my departure from the UK.

My question is: Would having a ticket to Paris satisfy the UK authorities of my departure from the UK?

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,922 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leaving UK

They would then be suspicious about why you are goingb o Paris if you live in Australia.....

Basically, they are suspicious if you seem to not want to go home.

Any reason why you can't buy a ticket which allows you to change the date of travel?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,048 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leaving UK

'Would having a ticket to Paris satisfy the UK authorities of my departure from the UK?' Since a rail or air ticket to Paris will mean you will physically leave the UK then yes, that should be sufficient.

Keep in mind there are no border formalities on leaving the UK, so on arrival the agent will ask how long you intend to stay. If your reply will be 'I've got a flight / rail ticket to Paris booked for 22 September' then that will indicate your intention to leave the UK.

If your journey to Paris will be a day trip then you will face UK immigration staff at the Gare du Nord who will again ask how long you intend to stay. To mitigate any aggro, consider booking a return ticket to Australia before leaving for London.

Port Macquarie...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Leaving UK

No worries. Will just have to make a firm decision on my departure date before I go. Thanks for your reply.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,320 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leaving UK

The other thing to bear in mind is that the airline will check your entry status before allowing you to check in or board the flight(s) to London. And if a return or onward ticket is required the airlines very often require this to be a confirmed AIR ticket.

Very often you think the airlines are "doing the country's immigration for them". Which is to an extent true, because for every passenger denied entry by the immigration authorities the airline that flew them there faces a several thousand dollar/pound fine and potentially severe sanctions for repeat occurrences.

UK
Level Contributor
6,547 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Leaving UK

Buying a return ticket usually works out a lot cheaper than buying two one-way tickets, at least on long-haul itineraries.... so I'm a bit surprised you chose a one-way ticket, unless it was a very cheap one.

But I disagree with the notion that having an onward ticket to Paris would make you look suspicious. UKBA are well used to people arriving in the UK from faraway places and then going on a tour of Europe.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
217 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Leaving UK

Most better airlines will let you change your return date for a small fee and whatever the fare difference is, Singapore Airlines offer this.

India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
5,162 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Leaving UK

'Most better airlines will let you change your return date for a small fee and whatever the fare difference is, Singapore Airlines offer this.'

Airlines will allow you to change dates dependent on many factors. Availability of flights, depending on the fare conditions of ticket type bought, cost of changing may be marginal or a great deal . As well as if booked through a travel agent they also may charge a fee on top for any changes. Tax considerations of airfare may also be charged.

Paying more for your flexible, refundable ticket of course gives you more flexibility if you need to change.

8. Re: Leaving UK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2015, 06:16