We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation area

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
134 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Accommodation area

Hi,

I will be in London from 19 Aug to 23 Aug. I am looking for an accommodation, budget around GBP 100-150.

Across the days, I have planned a few trips out to the Harry Potter at Watford, and Bicester Village, and will be spending the rest of the days in London. I have also booked a musical and a couple of restaurants, and they are around the Mayfair area.

With the above in mind, which area should I look for my accommodation? My considerations are that if I am in London, most of the places I would visit is around Mayfair area, however, I am not the sort of stays in my hotel for the day (i.e. I typically travel around the city in the day). So, should I look for a place in Mayfair area, which is more expensive, or could someone suggest another place which is also very accessible to most attractions?

To add on, I have a friend who suggested the Paddington area. Is that a good area? Apparently, its cheaper for me to take a cab each day down to Mayfair area, then to stay in Mayfair itself. Not sure if that's true

Thanks

Edited: 04 August 2014, 08:20
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
777 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation area

Much cheaper to travel on the tube or buses, distances around central London wouldn't warrant the expense of a cab in my opinion. Trains to Watford Junction (Harry Potter) leave from Euston Stn and for Bicester North (Bicester Village) from Marylebone. You could stay in Paddington. I'd be more inclined to stay in the Covent Garden or Bloomsbury areas.

Strand Palace http://www.strandpalacehotel.co.uk/

thistle.com/hotels/…index.html

thistle.com/en/…index.html

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
24,711 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation area

Another vote for Bloomsbury.

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation area

I am curious to know how you came up with Mayfair as the focus of your activities. Most tourist attractions in London are not in Mayfair. Some are not even particularly close to it. In fact, apart from the Royal Academy of Arts I can't think of any top-drawer tourist attractions that are actually in Mayfair. Why not consider another area such as Soho, Covent Garden, or Bloomsbury, which are almost certainly even better from the tourist point of view, and very probably quite a bit cheaper too. If you are looking at staying somewhere a little further out I am not sure why anyone would recommend Paddington. The Waterloo area is very popular with tourists these days and it much better as both an area in itself and a location in London.

I also agree with the poster above that it would be very silly for you to try to travel everywhere by taxi. The main thing is that the taxi will cost you a small fortune. It is also often much quicker and more convenient to use public transport than to travel by road. There is also a greater environmental cost if just one person is travelling by car.

I think you need to have a careful look at your itinerary (which I am guessing must include attractions like St Paul's Cathedral and the Tower of London) and come up with other possible areas to stay. As I say, Soho, Covent Garden, Bloomsbury, and possible Waterloo and the City are a good guide. Of course, if you can afford it Mayfair is by no means a bad area in which to stay, but if you are wavering I would suggest widening your options.

4. Re: Accommodation area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 22 October 2014, 07:05
UK
Level Contributor
6,271 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation area

Public transport in London is very efficient, and reasonably priced, if you get an Oyster Card there is a daily maximum charge which provided you don't travel outside zones 1 and 2 (which will probably encompass most of what you visit) is £8.40. £8.40 won't get you very far in a cab! For more info on travel and the Oyster card take a look at www.tfl.gov.uk

Accommodation wise Mayfair is expensive and there is no particular reason to stay there. Your budget is not big by London standards.. Unless luxury is important to you I'd look at one of the chains like Travelodge or Premier Inn. There is a decent Travelodge on City Road www.travelodge.co.uk booking in advance gets good prices.

To get an idea of what your budget buys in London use a site like www.trivago.co.uk

As mentioned above transport is good, so look for something within the boundaries of the circle line ( which you'll find on a London Underground map on the tfl website) and you will be within a reasonable distance of The main central London sites.

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
44 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodation area

Hi I recommend the Bayswater area, where I've stayed several times. It's next to Hyde Park which was great for the kids, and the transport connections are good. You can get to Watford on the tube from Baker Street (Metropolitan line), just a couple of stops from Bayswater.

Yes Mayfair is one of London's most expensive and glamorous areas.

Have a good time!!

7. Re: Accommodation area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2015, 06:16