We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in London, during a rainy weekend...

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What to do in London, during a rainy weekend...

Hello everybody,

This weekend I have a couple of friends (a girl and a guy but they are not a couple) from Italy visiting me here in London.

They have been here few times already and they know the main touristic places quite well.

When they decided to come I thought I would have taken them to do few excursions to parks and gardens and spend the evenings outside in beer gardens or in other open-air places.

Unfortunately this weekend weather forecasts for London are showing rain for both days, so I need to change my plans.

Please can I ask you guys to give me some interesting ideas where to take them considering the weather?

Thank you,

Simone

London, United...
Level Contributor
874 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in London, during a rainy weekend...

Museums/Galleries? The theatre? Day trip somewhere where its not raining? lol

Anyway, i'm willing to bet by the time it gets to the weekend it doesn't actually rain much, they rarely get it right a whole 3 days in advance!!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,941 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in London, during a rainy weekend...

It won't rain the entire time.

If it does, it's covered markets, museums, art galleries and the pub time, isn't it? :)

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do in London, during a rainy weekend...

I think we would need a few more ideas about what they are interested in. Otherwise we could just make a list of everywhere in London that has a roof! For starters, I would suggest National Gallery, National Portrait Gallery, British Museum, British Library, Tate Britain, Tate Modern, Courtauld Gallery, Museum of London, Museum of London Docklands, Imperial War Museum, Wallace Collection, V&A, Science Museum, Natural History Museum. If you want to veer away from museums, how about Kensington Palace, Banqueting House, Apsley House, Kenwood House (with excursions onto Hampstead Heath if the weather clears up), the whole of Greenwich (plenty to do inside, and plenty to do outside if you get spells without rain). As suggested, theatre, and also, consider the Mariinsky Ballet at the Royal Opera House, for which there are nearly 400 tickets left across two performances on Saturday, or cinema (BFI Southbank and Imax, ICA, and any number of chain cinemas). Also Westminster Abbey, St Paul's Cathedral, Southwark Cathedral, Westminster Cathedral (Saturday rather than Sunday, except for services). The list could go on and on.

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do in London, during a rainy weekend...

BBC Proms at Royal Albert Hall, though you may get wet queuing: www.bbc.co.uk/proms/whats-on/2014/august-09

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
158 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do in London, during a rainy weekend...

Nah it wont rain.

Ill be over and I simply dont do London when it rains., not anymore.

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
36,288 posts
934 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do in London, during a rainy weekend...

Simone,

We are often faced with similar prospects, so keep several options handy:

Museums (as mentioned)

Matinee tickets to the theater - we keep a list of what we might want to see, and when the matinee times are

Afternoon Tea - might not be for everyone, but we enjoy it

Warm dry pub - again, maybe not for everyone, but... I mean who does not like a warm dry pub?

Wine at Galvin Bar (Hilton Park Lane) - high above it all, watching storm clouds roll across the city is a lovely afternoon - note, if one wants more than the B-T-G list shows, the staff can procure half-bottles and full bottles from the Galvin @ Windows full wine list.

Those are just a few of the activities that we have employed on days when other options have been rained out.

Travel safely,

Hunt

7. Re: What to do in London, during a rainy weekend...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2015, 06:17