We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Manchester Airport Confusion

Alabama, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Manchester Airport Confusion

Hi!

I will be a first time London traveler this upcoming Monday. I am traveling from the Manchester International Airport into London by train. I have not booked this ticket yet, as I do not know where to get off. I have contacted the B&B where I will be staying, but with no luck as to receive a response.

I will be staying in Pembridge Square in Notting Hill, and am desperate to find out the easiest way to get there. As I said before, I will be taking a train from Manchester Airport, however, I do not know the stop to get off on, or whether or not I will need to take another form of transport along the way.

All help is so much appreciated.

Thanks a million

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Notting Hill
Notting Hill
2,471 Reviews
London, UK
Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,388 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Manchester Airport Confusion

You change trains at Manchester Piccadilly. You get off the train from Manchester Piccadilly at Euston which is its only stop in London.

You then get the tube to Notting Hill - whatever station the B&B advises you. I suspect Notting Hill Gate

You can include the tube fare in your ticket by booking to London Zone 1 rather than Euston. It will be cheaper than buying a one off tube ticket but more expensive that getting an Oyster on arrival at Euston

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
London
London
England, UK
Notting Hill
Notting Hill
2,471 Reviews
London, UK
Notting Hill Gate Hotel
Notting Hill Gate Hotel
526 Reviews
London, UK
London
Level Contributor
11,401 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Manchester Airport Confusion

There are no direct trains from Manchester airport to London. You'll need to change at either Manchester Piccadilly or Crewe (there is one train per hour direct from the airport to Crewe). The "off peak" return fare is £79.70

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
London
London
England, UK
Crewe
Crewe
Cheshire, UK
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
43,000 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Manchester Airport Confusion

Hmm.. you are going to have to pay full whack for the ticket since you have left it so late . Go to the www.nationalrail.co.uk site and see what is available. You might be able to pick up a first class ticket for £68.50 which is less than the second class. You will need to change twice for that though.

Get acquainted with the http://www.tfl.gov.uk/ site for travel inside London

According to Uber a cab will be around £10

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
London
Level Contributor
11,401 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Manchester Airport Confusion

If you're returning to Manchester within a month, the "off peak" return will be cheaper than two advances.

In any case, I'd be cautious about buying an "advance" ticket for travel from an airport.... If the plane is late you've lost your ticket.

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
London, United...
Level Contributor
875 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Manchester Airport Confusion

Is there a reason you flew into Manchester and not London? The small savings in fares you might have got have probably been wiped out by your train ticket.

There still seems to be some reasonably priced tickets, but it depends your time really.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/ - for train tickets/times

You just need to get into London, then use the tube to get to your B & B (or cab, bus etc)

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
London
London
England, UK
London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
22,599 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Manchester Airport Confusion

Highly ironic; usually we get people flying into a London airport wanting to know how to get to Manchester ...

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
North West England...
Level Contributor
1,825 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Manchester Airport Confusion

The Manchester end of your trip is straightforward. The airport rail station is connected to Terminals One and Two via The Skylink. The Skylink is a covered walkway that has travelators. Terminal Three is a short walk from the station.

Trains run from the airport station to Manchester Piccadilly Station every few minutes, the journey takes about 20 minutes. Most of the day, three trains an hour run between Piccadilly Station and London Euston Station, the trains are less frequent in the late evening, For fares have a look at this site..

http://www.farefinder.virgintrains.co.uk/

An Advance ticket limits you to a specific train for the Piccadilly to Euston leg of the trip.

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
London
London
England, UK
Staffordshire...
Level Contributor
261 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from Manchester Airport Confusion

If cost is a problem, it might be worth looking at National express coaches www.nationalexpress.com. You may need to change but its easy in the coach stations, no swapping platforms.

Coach to Victoria then tube. I am sure the experts will help with tube staions if you decide on the coach.

Gill

9. Re: Train from Manchester Airport Confusion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 August 2015, 06:17