We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Castle one day visit from London

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Milwaukee...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Castle one day visit from London

Hello,

My cousin and I are staying in London for a few days and would love to visit a castle. Warwick castle is definitely out as it seems like it too much like a theme park.

I'm debating between Leeds Castle, Windsor, or Arundel. Would it be possible to do both Windsor and Arunde in one day? We can't spend the night as we have to be in London very early in the morning.

Also I would like to see another city other than London. Which castle would offer a better surrounding city?

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,470 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Castle one day visit from London

The Tower of London is a castle.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,267 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Castle one day visit from London

Windsor and Arundel in a day isn't practical even with a car. Windsor would be my choice as the town also has a fair bit to offer whereas Leeds Castle, beautiful as it is is rather isolated,

An alternative day trip would be to the city of York which can be reached by train in a couple of hours. Not much left of the castle (a tower) but loads of other "old" sites including well preserved city walls, some Roman remains, narrow old streets with wonderfully evocative names (Whipmawhopmgate, The Shambles) and the best railway museum in the country.

Better if you could spend a night there but you could see a reasonable amount if you took an early train from Kings Cross.

California
Level Contributor
4,215 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Castle one day visit from London

Windsor Castle is a good choice, then you can wander around Windsor itself. It's an easy journey by train and doesn't take up an entire day, dawn to dusk. Arundel is a small village that closes up pretty early, probably not worth the effort unless you are visiting other places in the area or are on the way to Brighton.

USA
Level Contributor
650 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Castle one day visit from London

How about Dover?

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Castle one day visit from London

Windsor. Easy to get to, nice town (and Eton) to explore.

I would do Rochester castle (or Hever) over Leeds castle which is in a nice setting but somewhat 'faux' but Rochester is easier to get to and from, as they thoughtfully built it quite near the train station.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,737 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Castle one day visit from London

As a tourist the simplest journey for you would be to take the train from Paddington station to Windsor. You will be there within the hour. And you won't be disappointed. It is impressive and you also have the town right on its doorstep to wander around.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
6,830 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Castle one day visit from London

Bear in mind that Rochester Castle is a ruin.

>>Arundel is a small village <<

No it's not, it's a town.

>>but Rochester is easier to get to and from, as they thoughtfully built it quite near the train station.<<

It'll be even closer soon, as they are currently in the process of constructing a brand new station further up the line.

California
Level Contributor
4,215 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Castle one day visit from London

Pardon me, I was just going by what my friends who live nearby called it., although they didn't say "small". But to me, yes it's small, especially compared to London.

London, United...
Level Contributor
874 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Castle one day visit from London

Dover is a good shout, you have the Castle & the War Tunnels. Windsor is probably the best bet though as is nice and close to London.

england
Level Contributor
4,783 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Castle one day visit from London

The Tower shuld be first choice but Dover is a good choice if you want t go outside London. Although this isn't actually a castle tourists also like to visit Hampton Court http://www.hrp.org.uk/HamptonCourtPalace/

Edited: 07 August 2014, 18:44