We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chicken restaurants near Liverpool Street station?

London, Canada
Level Contributor
33 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Chicken restaurants near Liverpool Street station?

Hello,

My family will soon be arriving in London England for our vacation and staying in the vicinity of Liverpool Street Station. My daughter has a number of food intolerances, so for the most part she will be eating mainly vegetarian type meals. She can also tolerate chicken/turkey and fish (nothing fried).

Does anyone know if there are any restaurants nearby that might have chicken (rotisserie, roast, salad, etc) or tuna type dishes on the menu?

Thanks for any assistance you might be able to provide.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,048 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chicken restaurants near Liverpool Street station?

'Nothing fried' - does that include chicken too? Where near Liverpool Street station have you booked, please?

London, Canada
Level Contributor
33 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chicken restaurants near Liverpool Street station?

Hi, to answer your questions, no foods can be fried, including the chicken. We are staying a short distance from Liverpool Street Station, south of the station, between Bishopsgate and Commerical St.

It would be great to have something local, but we are also willing to travel a bit out of the way if necessary. Plus we will be out and about for 'sightseeing' as we are visiting for 2 weeks.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,048 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chicken restaurants near Liverpool Street station?

There are a very great many chicken shops in Whitechapel Road, but they will be nonstarters as they offer fried chicken. The Tesco Express in Bishopsgate sells hot food to take away and usually has roast chicken pieces on offer, but I suspect one might tire of them quickly.

There are branches of Leon and Giraffe in Spitalfields Market, and there are a great many takeaway shops in the area around the station to feed the hungry City workers: Itsu, EAT, Pret a Manger and more. If memory serves there is a branch of Nandos in Middlesex Street. Happy Days in Goulston Street is a fish and chip shop, but I think they offer grilled fish as well.

There are a great many places to eat near the station, but your choices may be limited by what your daughter can and cannot eat. You may be better off doing a bit of self catering by visiting the very large Sainsbury's behind Whitechapel station - take the 254 from Aldgate station or St Botolph Street and alight at Darling Row for the short walk to the shop.

Londinium born and...
Level Contributor
4,289 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Chicken restaurants near Liverpool Street station?

Hotel, or apartment? If you're staying in an apartment I'm sure you'll find lots for her to eat that you can prepare, or cook yourself.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
33 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chicken restaurants near Liverpool Street station?

Thank you for your detailed reply. We did research quite a few places to eat in the area, and came up with a number of the places you recommended, plus you provided a number of extra ones (awesome). However, these are mostly food-to-go places, which is fine as they do have something for her to eat, but we are also hoping to find a nice restaurant to be able to sit down, relax and unwind. To answer the other post, yes we will have a kitchen, which will be great for storing/heating foods, putting together lunches to go and such, but as much as I love having the kitchen available, I really don't plan on cooking full dinners during vacation.

California
Level Contributor
4,229 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chicken restaurants near Liverpool Street station?

There is a Nandos in that area in a street just off Bishopsgate, can't remember the name.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,048 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chicken restaurants near Liverpool Street station?

Nandos in Middlesex Street, MC, I'm almost sure.

Leon and Giraffe may be your best options for a place to sit down and have a meal depending on your daughter's limitations. Takeaways are far more common in that part of the City, with restos more for the expense account lunch and high-end dinner crowds.

An alternative to Sainsbury's in Whitechapel is Waitrose just south of The Highway (the stop is Nesham Street). Take the number 100 towards Shadwell from St Botolph Street (the bus stops in the Minories are closed for the next few months). https:/…aldgate-fenchurch-street-280714.pdf

California
Level Contributor
4,229 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chicken restaurants near Liverpool Street station?

You might be able to find some options near/in Spitalfields Market such as Canteen. They have a pretty varied menu that should suit even the most finicky.

Edited: 08 August 2014, 05:51
London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,074 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chicken restaurants near Liverpool Street station?

Whitecross Street (near the Barbican) has a very pleasant vegetarian restaurant called Carnevale at 135 and a bit further up the street there is a fish restaurant that will serve the fish any way you want.

Still a bit further up there is a Mediterranean restaurant with a wide variety of healthy looking dishes.

The last two have areas to sit outside. Whitcross Street has little traffic so sitting outside could be very pleasant.

There is also a Japanese Restaurant on Whitecross.

All three restaurants are for sit down meals with attractive informal interiors.

There is also a Waitrose supermarket just off Whitecross that sells roast chicken to take away.

Edited: 08 August 2014, 07:00
London, England
Level Contributor
8,488 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chicken restaurants near Liverpool Street station?

There are plenty of pubs in that area which will do roast chicken as a Sunday lunch option. Have a look on Opentable to get an idea of restaurants in the area. Hoxton Square and surrounding areas have lots of restaurants. Many restaurants will do grilled fish.