We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Picking up train tickets

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
725 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Picking up train tickets

Has anyone had a problem recently picking up train tickets from a ticket office rather than using the self-service machines?

I have just booked some tickets online, and note that it says to use self-service machines. Wouldn't be a problem except for the standard chip and pin situation (or rather, lack thereof). I did this last year and simply wandered up to the ticket office (didn't even try the self-service machine) and got my tickets with no problem, but on review, it looks as if the language may have changed on the booking site to be more, shall we say, definitive that you need to use the self-service machines.

Irritatingly I will have a chip and pin card by the time I get to the UK, but I didn't want to wait because the tickets prices have already gone up since I checked a few weeks ago.

I doubt it will be an issue, particularly as I will have oodles of time to deal with this but was just wondering. It's Paddington if that's relevant.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,779 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Picking up train tickets

A few years ago, before my country (Israel) introduced chip-and-pin cards, I booked a train ticket online, to be collected at a station. I tried using my card in the machine but it didn't work because it wasn't chip and pin, so I went to the customer service desk (or whatever it was called) where a live human being issued my ticket. I needed to show the card that I'd used to book the ticket, but it was no problem at all.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
78 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Picking up train tickets

I was able to pick up my tickets at the self-help machine with my regular American credit card, with no chip or pin. I was in London two weeks ago.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
725 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Picking up train tickets

Precious: Oh great. Thank you.

Edited: 08 August 2014, 16:20
Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
691 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Picking up train tickets

I've never been able to use a machine to pick up my pre-booked train tickets, my card has never worked. However, it was never a chip card, so I'm hoping that was the issue. I'll know next month...

London, United...
Level Contributor
875 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Picking up train tickets

No harm in trying first at the machine. If it doesn't work just go to the ticket office and tell them, they will give you the tickets, just show your card and reference number to them. I imagine they just want the majority of people to use the machines to cut waiting times at the ticket office.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
65 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Picking up train tickets

I was in London in May and we were also able to pick up our pre-booked tickets at the machine, with a non-chip American credit card. When you push your card into the machine, leave it in there a second before pulling it back out; I'm not POSITIVE that it makes a difference, but we did that because I'd heard it somewhere, and our cards worked at all but one self-service machine we tried during our trip (and I think that one was just broken).

7. Re: Picking up train tickets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2015, 06:17