We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London to Caen or Bayeux

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Columbia, Missouri
Level Contributor
10 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
London to Caen or Bayeux

We check out of our hotel on Sept. 26 and must check into our Paris hotel on Sept. 28. I discarded the idea of walking a bit of Hadrian's wall (thanks to all who offered good suggestions) and am thinking we could see a bit of Normandy. If we take the Eurostar from London to Paris, can we disembark at Caen? Thanks!

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: London to Caen or Bayeux

No - it doesn't stop in Caen or anywhere near. You can get it to Paris and get a train from there to Caen or Bayeux - or you can get a ferry to Ouistreham (the port for Caen) from Portsmouth - or maybe to Cherbourg.

You would do well to rent a car in Normandy if you can - French rural transport isn't that good.

Edited: 08 August 2014, 18:05
U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
19,849 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London to Caen or Bayeux

Getting to Normandy takes the better part of a day; seeing Normandy can take from 3 days to a week. And actually your best, fastest way to Normandy is by taking the Eurostar to Paris from London, and then the train to Bayeux. (the Eurostar to Paris does not make stops in Caen--it goes through Calais, at a very high rate of speed.)

Stay the night in Bayeux and take a tour that departs in the morning. Check the train schedules and the tour info, as well as your hotel in Paris to see if checking in late on the 28th is doable.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,777 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London to Caen or Bayeux

Unless you aren't bothered about the cost I'd book your Eurostar tickets asap.

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: London to Caen or Bayeux

Are you just keen to see some countryside and not spend all your time in big cities? If so, wouldn't it be more straightforward for you to just stay in London and then go direct to Paris but to schedule in a day trip into the countryside from each city? I don't know about Paris, but from London you can easily get the train out to nice places in, for example, Kent, with travelling time of about an hour and at a cost of about £10, and have a lovely day out of the city. It would seem a simpler option than travelling relatively long distances to spend a night or two somewhere in between the main sections of your trip.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,777 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London to Caen or Bayeux

Or get Eurostar from London to Brussels, spend the night there and then get a Thalys train to Paris.

www.thalys.com

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,329 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London to Caen or Bayeux

Flybe have a flight from Southend direct to Cean in just over an hour. £73 on the 26th if you book today. Leaves at 11:20am so quite nice timing.

I just was in Caen 2 weeks ago. Agree you will really need a car especially to see the war graves and WWII sites. Go it is worth the effort. I actually only spent 2 days there and saw loads.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,777 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London to Caen or Bayeux

Good idea Ronaldo - I wasn't sure on flights over there but you have the knowledge! ;-)

If I was the OP I would look into booking these flights asap, plus car hire and accommodation.

Probably best to ask for further advice on car rental, accommodation and where to go and what to see etc on the Caen and Normandy TA forums.

Bayeaux might be a good place to spend the night.

Columbia, Missouri
Level Contributor
10 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London to Caen or Bayeux

Thanks, Everyone! I had not considered flying, just Eurostar or the ferry.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,477 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London to Caen or Bayeux

The Southend-Caen flight is new, since I did this, but maybe it will help...

tripadvisor.co.uk/…38073359

Troy
Level Contributor
208 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: London to Caen or Bayeux

If you end up going to Bayeux, I highly recommend the Hotel Particulier Poppa! We stayed there for two nights last year and loved it! We also did a half day tour of the D-Day sites and it was perfect. Bayeux is beautiful and very walkable. It's now one of my favorite places.