We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gatwick to Southampton

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
360 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Gatwick to Southampton

We will be staying at the Gatwick airport overnight prior to our journey to Southampton to board a cruise ship. We are planning on buying train tickets (Southern Rail) and then taking a taxi from the Southampton train station to the port.

I'm wondering if there are any other suggestions on how to best get there. I've tried some of the taxi companies and they all seem to be over 100pounds. Cost for two Southern Rail tickets is approximately 30pounds. I think the taxi may be about 10pounds. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Southampton, UK
Level Contributor
1,320 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gatwick to Southampton

National Express is an option

www.nationalexpress.com/home.aspx

Note that there is no direct train service from Gatwick to Southampton on Sundays - it means going to Clapham Junction and changing there.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Gatwick to Southampton

On a Sunday you have to change at Barnham on Southern - going via Clapham Junction doubles the cost and takes longer

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,205 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gatwick to Southampton

According to the National Rail website they recommend the change at Ford, one stop earlier. I suspect it doesn't matter which station you use as you'd have either a same platform (Ford) or cross platform (Barnham) change, with the Southampton train arriving just four minutes later.

I would just use the Southern train with the change. However, on which DATE are you planning this, in case there are planned engineering works that weekend that would mess up the journey?

4. Re: Gatwick to Southampton

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2015, 06:18