We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Football match

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Football match

Coming to London in less than six weeks (we are excited!), that is, 50 year old couple and 14 year old son. His first time. He's a keen footballer follower on TV at least, and I'd like to take him to a real UK match. We will be there 20 sept onwards, staying in Richmond, and a high level league would be ideal, if possible without spending hundreds of pounds.

Suggestions, please?

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,818 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Football match

How long are you here for? The 20th, your arrival day and the day when most games are played, is a Saturday so I am guessing you won't be able to make anything that day. What about the following Saturday? There is a game at Chelsea (they host Aston Villa) that you might be able to get tickets for. Chelsea fans can advise more.

The alternative would be a midweek game on the 23rd or 24th in the third round of the Capital Cup, the secondary cup competition for league clubs only. We won't know who is playing who until after the second round is completed at the end of August but there is a fair chance that a number of London based sides will be at home. Tickets will be a lot easier to come by than a Premier League fixture.

Maybe post again after the 27th of August and we can advise you of your options.

Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Football match

Thanks. We actually arrive the Friday pm but I said Sat as I knew we were no good for the Friday. I'll check in again later in the month. We leave for Paris the next Sat.

London, United...
Level Contributor
875 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Football match

Arsenal and Chelsea are both away that weekend (Sat 20th). Spurs play West Brom at home (yawn), QPR play Stoke at home (yawn), West Ham play Liverpool at home (seems alight). West Ham seems like a good bet, their tickets always seem to go on General Sale, and you get to see some of the real East London (not the trendy central London that pretends to be the East End :D)

If not then, as said above, the Capital One Cup is played during that week, if any of the draws for the 3rd round (draw date is 27th August) are home fixtures for the London Clubs, then they are pretty much guaranteed to go on General Sale, even Arsenal at the Emirates.

Edited: 08 August 2014, 23:04
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,876 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Football match

Here are all the fixtures for the season, and you can take a look and come back with further questions -

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k75549…

There's some good matches on 20th. If you can't get Premier League tickets then the Championship games at Watford and Fulham could be good ones too.

Southampton
Level Contributor
64 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Football match

Just wanted to point out that the Premier league clubs won't field their strongest sides in the Capital One Cup, likely to be a mixture of back-up players and promising youngsters. This doesn't mean it won't be entertaining, as the young players especially are playing to impress the manager. One unusual match two years ago was 5-7!

So it depends if you are looking for the experience, to see a particular team or stadium or a great atmosphere. Joe B suggested West Ham v Liverpool because it will be a great atmosphere: you'll get the opportunity to hear Liverpool fans singing "you'll never walk alone" and West Ham singing "I'm forever blowing bubbles". It's an older stadium (they are moving to the Olympic stadium soon) and in an area tourists don't normally go. Don't be alarmed though you'll be part of a 35,000 crowd and quite safe (i've been to an evening game there and I'm a woman).

To be honest, if your son is 14, he could probably talk you through all the options and tell you exactly what he wants to see!!

Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Football match

Thank you all, that's great info. He's a Liverpool fan so that looks like the best option.

I won't be going, it's a boys only thing, but I am keen to see the East End and if I can also ask what else might be of interest locally around the stadium, love to hear those ideas.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,876 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Football match

Your boys need to be VERY careful. Liverpool is the away team. And if they book tickets through West Ham then they'll be seated among the home (West Ham) fans.

They must NOT overtly support Liverpool. If they try to enter wearing Liverpool shirts or scarves they may very well be denied entry. If they cheer for Liverpool during the game and it gets alerted to the stewards they may be ejected from the stadium.

No I'm not kidding. Because of the historical issue of football supporter violence (and by and large it is historical and matches are generally very safe these days) the authorities do take these things very seriously.

Again, your boys should be perfectly safe, but if you buy tickets from West Ham they must appear as a minimum neutral spectators at the match.

8. Re: Football match

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2015, 06:16