We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help to group activities by area and time allowed please

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
105 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Help to group activities by area and time allowed please

I am so excited to come to London with my family (husband and 18 & 20 year old sons). We arrive from Australia on Friday, April 3, 2015, which is Easter, staying until the Monday 13th, so 9 full days. I am desperately trying not to over schedule, please let me know if I have organised this sensibly, in no day order-

A day for the London walks tour and Thames boat ride to Greenwich

A day to see Tower of London and the Tower Bridge Exhibition

A day to see Big Ben, Houses of Parliament, Westminster Abbey (tour) and the London Eye.

A day for the Natural History Museum, Harrods food court and the Kensington Gardens

A day for the Science Museum, Hyde park and Oxford Street

A day trip to Brighton (family)

A day for the Harry Potter Tour and then Kew Gardens

A day to see Hampton Court

A day with family in London

I would also like to see a theatre show, St Pauls Cathedral, Convent Gardens and Borough Market

British Museum
Art Museums, History Museums
Churchill War Rooms
Historic Sites, History Museums, Military Museums
Natural History Museum
History Museums, Natural History Museums
Imperial War Museum
History Museums, Military Museums, Speciality Museums
London, UK
Level Contributor
1,801 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help to group activities by area and time allowed please

Do you particularly like parks? I wouldn't consider either Hyde Park or Kensington Gardens to be a 'must see' for a group of adults unless there is a reason to go there. If you just want to see a London park you can visit St James's Park which is right by Buckingham Palace (close to Westminster Abbey) and very pretty.

Do you mean the Harry Potter studio tour? If so then both it and Kew are our of town in different directions so it would be a rush to try to combine them on the same day. I don't know how long you would want to spend at the museums; personally I find the Science Museum takes more time so I'd take your Natural History Museum day, go there early then straight to Kew, drop Kensington Gardens and fit Harrods in somewhere else (possibly after the Science Museum instead of Hyde Park).

I think the other days look OK, not over-scheduled. You are planning to see Greenwich (Cutty Sark, Observatory etc) when you get there I hope and not just do the boat ride?

You can fit in at least one of St Paul's and Borough Market after the Tower (both if you are energetic), and Covent Garden is very central so won't be hard to fit in.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,362 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help to group activities by area and time allowed please

Just a few thoughts.

I would drop the London Bridge exhibition and replace it with St Paul's Cathedral.

The Science and Natural History museums I would do on the same day as they are close to one another.

A West End show could easily be fitted in one evening.

Oxford Street really hasn't got much going for it other than Selfridges.

Covent Garden could easily be fitted in if you rejig things.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,801 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help to group activities by area and time allowed please

Agree - Science and Natural History Museums are next door to each other so could be combined although you might get a bit 'museumed out' depending on how much time you want to spend in each. Also, check which days everything is available when you firm up your plans.

I think you did mean Tower Bridge Experience which is rather good imo and not London Bridge Experience which is a different thing?

Edited: 09 August 2014, 09:35
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
105 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help to group activities by area and time allowed please

Thanks Sarah, I did mean Tower Bridge. I was worried about doing two museums in one day, my boys are good, but that may be pushing it :) I guess I do have a thing for parks, but your advice is good, as St James is the one I can see the less busy changing of the guards? I will take that advice and re jig.

Bev, thanks for the heads up on Oxford Street, I will give it a miss.

I so appreciate your help.

Regards,

Sheridan

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
105 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help to group activities by area and time allowed please

Seeing as some of the days fall in the Easter weekend, are there some activities I should avoid during those days? Thinking London may be even busier over the long weekend?

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,907 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help to group activities by area and time allowed please

It wiill be busy over the Easter weekend (you will not be able to visit Westminster Abbey or St Paul's on Friday or Sunday, not sure about Easter Saturday) but the week after will be busy too as it's still the school holidays (not just here).

I would make sure you book your HP studio tour as tickets sell out; other than that with a few tweaks, such as doing the Science and NHM together and maybe skipping Kensington Gardens, you can certainly fit things in. And you wouldn't be able to do HP studios and Kew on the same day, either.

Personally I wouldn't do the Tower Bridge exhibition but I'm not hugely interested in the subject matter. With sons your age one thing I would consider is a RIB ride instead.

http://www.londonribvoyages.com/ (note - there are other companies).

Edited: 09 August 2014, 10:20
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
105 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help to group activities by area and time allowed please

Thank you parklandwalk, looks like great fun (I mean for me) and the boys would love it!

Rutland, UK
Level Contributor
5,806 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help to group activities by area and time allowed please

When you go to Greenwich I recommend going out by boat and back on the Docklands Light Railway. These are driverless trains and I still get a bit of a buzz sitting in the front of the first carriage where the driver usually sits. With a bit of tweaking of your route back you could also take a 'flight' on the Emirates cable car. Fine views, including the chance of seeing planes take off or land at the adjacent City Airport.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,217 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help to group activities by area and time allowed please

If you want to do general department store style of shopping and just see what UK shops are like then Oxford Street and Regent Street are the most popular areas. Many stores stay open till about 8 pm so you could head there after some of your other sightseeing.

A lovely shop is Liberty's just off Regent Street and down from Oxford Circus and there are little lanes of shops behind it such as Carnaby Street and Kingly Street that are nice for a wander through.

Harrods is very big but the Food Hall and the Confectionery departments on the ground floor are worth a visit.

10. Re: Help to group activities by area and time allowed please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2015, 06:16