We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help Organizing Itinerary

NJ
Level Contributor
195 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Help Organizing Itinerary

I'm arriving in London on 19/9/14 at 7:40am via United from EWR. I am travelling with my Mom, and we will both have 1 checked luggage and one small carry-on. We are staying at the Park Lane Sheraton. The plan is to purchase one way tickets to the Green Park tube station via the Piccadilly Line and walk to the hotel. I doubt the room will be ready that early, so we will drop off our suitcases and then purchase our Travelcards from a rail station. I'm not sure how much

of the 2for1's we will be using, but I would rather get these just in case.

What is the closest/easiest station to purchase the Travelcards?

Once that is done, I wanted to check out the Borough Market for a little while. After that, my planning for the first day is really wide open.

My biggest problem is that the things we want to see versus where they are located don't make sense logically when I am planning them.

I don't want to fall into the trap of planning too much in one day, we would rather just experience things as they come and if they don't, we wouldn't be the wiser if we missed them.

So on that Friday (19th) after the Borough Market, I wanted to fit in going to Abbey Rd (St. John's Wood Station), Harrod's, and if feasible a walk around the Victoria and Albert Museum.

Saturday (20th):

Westminster Abbey - tour

St. Pauls Cathedral - tour

Should they be in reverse order?

walk around each of the areas to see:

Big Ben, 10 Downing St, Scotland Yard, the Horse Guards Parade and anything else that we are lucky enough to view.

London Walks Jack the Ripper Tour

The London Eye - weather permitting

Sunday (21st) - Sunday is set in stone, so these items cannot be changed.

Buckingham Palace, we have 9:30am reservations for the Queen's Gallery. I previously purchased the Royal Day out ticket package and already have the tickets in hand.

Afternoon Tea at the Thistle Marble Arch at 14:00.

Ceremony of the Keys: 21:15.

Monday (22nd)

Tower of London

just walk around and see London

Old Curiosity Shop

British Museum - if possible

I was going to add a show in at night on either Saturday or Monday night, but I'm not sure if we will be too tired or not. I live very close to New York City, so not seeing something in London, while it would be a nice experience, would not be the end of the world.

Tuesday (23rd)

Full Day Stonhenge/Cotswolds/Bath tour.

Wednesday (24th)

We leave for Paris. The train departs at 10:25. We will most likely get to the St. Pancras station early and have breakfast there. I'm also planning on purchasing a carnet of metro tickets for Paris at the station, or onboard the train.

I appreciate the help and opinions in my attempts at planning.

London, United...
Level Contributor
805 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help Organizing Itinerary

If you are going to Borough Market you could take a walk along the Thames either East toward Tower of London crossing via Tower Bridge (Jack the Ripper tours start from Tower Hill so you could do this then), you could walk West toward Parliament passing The Globe with a detour into Tate Modern (free) and across the Millennium Bridge to see the outside of St Pauls before crossing back to continue the walk - there are a few pubs you will pass if you fancy popping in for a drink. Then maybe go to Abbey Road on a different day, apart from the crossing there isn't anything there so you can pop back onto the tube to wherever else you want to go - V & A/Harrods?

I don't think there is much at the Old Curiosity Shop, how about going to John Soanes museum which is very interesting but not too big.

USA
Level Contributor
1,100 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help Organizing Itinerary

I don't think I'd do both Westminster Abby and St. Paul in the same day. Both are Big Churches, and I think you'd have more variety in your itinerary if you swapped one out for another day.

I'd probably do the Tower on Saturday, followed by St. Paul's. (And walking around London ...)

Monday morning you could do Westminster Abbey and see Big Ben and other things in the area, and British Museum in the afternoon.

Also, while it makes sense to group your choices geographically, the Tube is WONDERFUL, and will get you just about anywhere in 10-15 minutes or less. (I remember only once having to wait more than about 2 minutes for a train. Most of the time one was pulling in as we got to the platform.)

California
Level Contributor
4,229 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help Organizing Itinerary

Just an FYI, Scotland Yard (New Scotland Yard, actually) is just a 60's era office building, nothing very exciting to look at :)

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,625 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Help Organizing Itinerary

rjbailey

get a laminated map of London and plot the things you want to do/see.

this way it will give you an idea on how much traveling you will be doing and you can "group" the attractions into an area of london so if youre lucky, you can walk from one to the other and wont be going from one end to the other in a day.

you really need to determine WHATS IMPORTANT TO YOU in terms of things to do and see. Then make sure youre there early enough to get a space.

some comments.

> ST. Pauls. No line to get into the place. Did take the hike up the tower. Long but really great view.

> Westminster Abbey. Havent made it into it yet.

> Big Ben. just took pics from the bridge nearby.

> #10 Downing street. the street itself is blocked/guarded so bring a telephoto lens if you want a pic.

> Horse Guards parade. Not bad, but i enjoyed the Royal Mews more. You can get there just about when the guards show up since the parade grounds is somewhat large.

> London Eye. I bought reserve tickets. the day was overcast, but could still see alot.

> Tower Of London. Spent more time waiting in line for the Crown Jewels. The White tower was cooler tho.

> British Museum. Way cool and saw alot of stuff i studied in school Spent more time there and could have spent more. No lines either.

good luck

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help Organizing Itinerary

I agree that you need to get yourself a map of London, whether that is an actual map as suggested above or Google Maps. If you plot your places on it you will see that you are suggesting combining place that are nowhere near each other. Once you do that you will see that Westminster Abbey is quite close to Buckingham Palace and that St Paul's Cathedral is quite close to the Tower of London, relatively speaking, of course.

Your Friday is all over the place and I would question how worthwhile it is for you to spend time on some of these. I have never worked out why Borough Market is such a big attraction for tourists. To me, at any rate, it just seems to be a place to get food, but it has become a must-see attraction. Abbey Road is a long way to go to to see a street crossing. It is not even the original crossing that the Beatles were photographed on in 1969, as its location was moved some time in the 1970s. Harrods, too, I think is over-rated. It is, after all, just a shop. If you do want to do Borough Market, I would suggest that it could quite nicely be fitted into a walk along the south bank of the Thames from Tower Bridge up to around Lameth Bridge, which takes in a good many attractions on the south bank and affords a fine view of the north. The V&A is a great museum, as are other nearby attractions, such as the Science Museum, Natural History Museum, Kensington Palace, Kensington Gardens, Hyde Park, Portobello Road, Holland Park, and Leighton House Museum, to name just the most obvious ones. If you exit Hyde Park in the northeast instead you are close to Oxford Street, where you may like to see Selfridges and Liberty (just on Regent Street), which make alternatives to Harrods (though I think Portobello Road in the northwest is more interesting).

London
Level Contributor
2,084 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help Organizing Itinerary

Print out the map on PAGE 17 of this link and put a circle around everywhere that you want to go, most of them are on the map. In fact, you could print it a few times for each day that you are in London.

tfl.gov.uk/cdn/…visitor-guide.pdf

7. Re: Help Organizing Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2015, 06:16