We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London Redhill travel

Tel Aviv, Israel
8 posts
Save Topic
London Redhill travel

Hi,

Im going to be staying in Redhill for 5 days and I will need to be going to london back and forth. is there a week card? how and where can I buy it? and between what times? (landing at 21:30)

I will be landing in luton airport and need to get to redhill. is there a way I can use this card for that as well? if not what is the best (fast + cheapest ) way to get there?

Thanks

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,244 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London Redhill travel

May I ask why you are staying in Redhill? It's a 30 minute rail journey so staying there would be a false economy unless your accommodation was free. It is also directly the other side of London from Luton airport, a 90 minute journey with at least one change.

Tel Aviv, Israel
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: London Redhill travel

staying at a friend - so free...

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: London Redhill travel

I hope you are in time to catch the 23.09 to Redhill (with a change at East Croydon); there is a long wait after that for the next train. For the weekly ticket, just turn up at Redhill station or you can browse the southernrailways site for details.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,909 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London Redhill travel

If you are able to travel into London off peak (on the 0914 or later from Redhill) you can get one day travelcards for £15.60 to cover all your travel, that's all travel within the London travel zones 1-6 plus one train journey from Redhill and one back. If you traveled during peak hours that would cost £28.90. A weekly travelcard would cost £125.70 so that is just not worth it.

There are six trains per hour off peak, four run to London Bridge and two to Victoria.

If you miss the 2309 train from Luton Airport (actually the 2255 shuttle bus from the airport to Luton Airport Parkway) then your best bet would be to take one of the through the night trains to Gatwick Airport and have your friends meet you there.

Tel Aviv, Israel
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: London Redhill travel

I was hoping to get the week ticket on the way from luton so I wont need to pay 27 pound and then again the week ticket

is there any place i can buy the week ticket in londn after I land? i.e. go from luton to what station? get the week ticket go to redhill using the weekticket?

how much is a week ticket? is it also for peek times?

thanks!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
215 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London Redhill travel

The week ticket would not apply from Luton, that is a separate journey.

Neither Luton nor Redhill are in London, so a travelcard for London wouldn't help you.

If you could fly to Gatwick instead you would make your life a LOT easier.

Edited: 11 August 2014, 21:52
Tel Aviv, Israel
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: London Redhill travel

I know.... the plan was to go to kettering to a festival that was cancelled, so im stuck with Luton..

what is my best option?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,909 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London Redhill travel

Neither Luton nor Redhill are in London, so a travelcard for London wouldn't help you.

=====

No that's incorrect. You can get a travelcard for London from Redhill and stations outside the London travel zones (see post 4). You get a combination of zone 1-6 travelcard and rail travel between the out of London station and the zone 6 boundary.

====

"is there any place i can buy the week ticket in londn after I land? i.e. go from luton to what station? get the week ticket go to redhill using the weekticket?"

Your problem with getting everything at Luton Airport is that you'll be running against time to get the last train(s) to Redhill. Technically you could get everything there but I wouldn't bother. Just buy the Luton Airport to Redhill ticket and travel.

If you want the weekly (seven day) travelcard from Redhill you can buy it at the ticket office at Redhill. As this counts as a season ticket, you need to bring a passport size photo for the (free) photocard that accompanies the travelcard. The photo does not have to be passport quality, so you can print out one at home.

Also, make sure that your friend's house is closest station is Redhill. It could be Merstham which is one stop closer to London.

Edited: 12 August 2014, 06:44
Tel Aviv, Israel
8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: London Redhill travel

Thanks

I land at 9:30 PM. can I buy the season ticket in luton train station?

if not, what is the cheapest way (but easy) to get from luton to redhil? I saw there is a capital connect tran but that is 27 pounds

Thanks

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,909 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: London Redhill travel

blondj,

Please read my post above.

It's possible you could buy your weekly travelcard (Redhill-London) at Luton Airport, plus a "Luton Airport to Boundary Zone 6" ticket, that would save you a little money ....

BUT, BUT BUT ....

You do NOT have much time before the last departure to Redhill (the 22:55 bus to the railway station). The ticket guy at Luton may not be able to figure out how to sell the ticket (weekly travelcard from Redhill, nowhere near Luton), and you'd waste time getting that photocard made up.

All that means you could miss the train you need, and be stuck in London or Croydon, or having to wake your friends up to drive somewhere to meet you at stupid o'clock.

You're getting free accommodation courtesy of your friend(s). Don't risk it for another £27.

Edited: 12 August 2014, 08:41