We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight from London To Hamburg - Which airport in London?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
86 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Flight from London To Hamburg - Which airport in London?

I am trying to book a flight from London to Hamburg. I am getting confused by all of the London airports. Would I be ok with either Gatwick or Luton? (Flying late Dec) I don't know where in London I will be staying yet. And how does everyone feel about easyJet?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!!

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,876 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight from London To Hamburg - Which airport in London?

EasyJet is one of the largest companies in the UK, but like all low costs airlines it's up to you to keep to the rules. Break them and they will smite you will large fines - sorry fees - for non-conformance

As for Gatwick vs Luton, it depends where you start from and the TOTAL cost of your flight including transport to & from the airport

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight from London To Hamburg - Which airport in London?

Gatwick and Luton are actually on the same train line (Bedford-Brighton) so anywhere you stay that's handy for catching a trip to Luton will be equally handy for Gatwick.On the other hand, there are two rail routes from Gatwick in to London, so some locations (e.g. around Victoria station) that are handy for Gatwick will be less so for Luton.

I agree that you need to read the fine print when booking with a budget airline, but they are as safe and reliable as the non-budget carriers as long as you know what you are paying for (and paying extra for in some cases). Some of the budget airlines have a nasty habit of "renaming" airports so that you think you're flying somewhere but it turns out you're flying somewhere a long way away. It would be almost as if they called Tulsa airport "Oklahoma City (Tulsa) airport" because they thought there would be more tourists visiting OKC but it was cheaper to fly to Tulsa but in reality, if you land at Tulsa, you're over 100 miles from OKC. (The only time I ever went to Oklahoma, I drove from Dallas, but at least I knew what I was getting myself into when I booked the tickets!)

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight from London To Hamburg - Which airport in London?

You should experience no problems flying easyJet. It is as good an airline as any other, and over a short distance you should not suffer particularly for slight reduction in luxuries.

The important thing to do, as others have said, is to work out what is actually going to be cheaper and/or more convenient for you. For example, I actually found that flying TAP Portugal from Heathrow to Lisbon was, as far as makes any appreciable difference, the same price as flying one of the budget airlines from Luton or Stansted, and any slight extra cost was easily compensated for by the convenience of taking the tube. The budget airlines will charge you extra for all sorts of things, most notably taking luggage, and they will even, in some instances, charge you extra for booking with a payment method other than their own credit card (which they know perfectly well that hardly anybody uses). Then you have to factor in the price difference between the tube to Heathrow on Oyster compared with more expensive trains and/or buses to other airports. Finally, you have to ask yourself how much the extra hassle is worth to you. I prefer Heathrow, but that comes down to location and a preference for the tube. The bottom line is that it doesn't really matter all that much. Heathrow, Gatwick, Luton, Stansted, and London City are all more or less accessible from more or less anywhere in London. You are not going to find yourself unable to reach the airport. I would always base my choice on total cost, and then when it gets down to a matter of a few £s difference I would base it on convenience.

Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
86 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight from London To Hamburg - Which airport in London?

Thank you everyone! That helps. And how funny rbgs - I am from Oklahoma City!

5. Re: Flight from London To Hamburg - Which airport in London?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2015, 05:17