We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3.5 days in London

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
3 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
3.5 days in London

Hi there,

for my upcoming visit of London I've prepared following itinerary.

I am 25 yo, travelling with my grandpa and sister. We've already been there but it's a looong time ago. I would be grateful for your opinions :)

1st day:

Arrival to London (Baker st.) at 8:35am, accommodation close to Kensington gardens

Metro to Westminister - Walk around (Trafalgar Sq., Houses of Parliament, Big Ben

At 11am change of horseguards at Whitehall

Walk to Buckingham Palace - we'll take a tour there

Metro to Tower Bridge - opening 4:30pm, then walk around City Hall

2nd day:

9:30 Westminister Abbey

Regents Park and Primrose Hill in the afternoon

South bank and London Eye in the evening (sunset)

3rd day:

Either Windsor whole day or Greenwich half a day (by boat - commuter service) / shopping half a day

4th day:

9:30 Tower of London

St. Paul's Cathedral (is it worth the money?) and Millenium Bridge

Also, please advise the best option for public transportation tickets. I'm a bit confused after reading all the information about travel card, oyster card, etc...

Thanks a lot for any help!

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 3.5 days in London

You have worked out a good, realistic itinerary. However, if you go to Greenwich you should make it a whole day, not a half day.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
463 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3.5 days in London

I like to do things that are close to each other. Day 1, I would add the London Eye and move the Tower Bridge opening and City Hall to Day 4.

As for transportation, you are on the cusp of whether a daily or weekly travel card would be better. I think you might be best off getting the weekly one. If you go for the weekly National Rail travel card, you will be able to take advantage of the 2-4-1 deals. See links on the right hand side of the page. There will alway be one of you that won't benefit, but you figure that out yourselves when you get there. Don't know when you are traveling but the Tower of London will not qualify for the 2-4-1 till Sept. If you get your ticket at the national rail station, you won't need to get the Oyster, but you will need a picture.

I'm always a bit partial to Greenwich myself. :-)

Have you booked your tickets for the Buckingham palace tour. Always good to book them in advance.

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 3.5 days in London

Just to give you some idea of why I say Greenwich is a whole day, rather than half day, destination, here is a list of what I would aim to see there:

Old Royal Naval College (not missing Painted Hall and Chapel)

National Maritime Museum

Queen's House

Royal Observatory

Ranger's House

Cutty Sark

Fan Museum

foot tunnel (for Island Gardens and view from north bank of Thames)

Greenwich Park

Church of St Alfege (Church of England parish church)

Church of Our Lady Star of the Sea (Catholic church)

Market

Blackheath (at the top of Greenwich Park, a large heath with a village of the same name)

Boat trip

Interesting pubs

There's enough there for *at least* one whole day, and, in my opinion, you will find it much more rewarding than spending the other half of the day shopping.

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 3.5 days in London

Sorry not to give you a more coherent reply.

St Paul's Cathedral is very definitely worth the money. It would be a great shame to visit London and miss out on St Paul's in order to save a sum of money which, compared with the total cost of your trip, is going to be fairly small.

Why are you particularly interested to see City Hall? I actually quite like it, but it's not a top tourist attraction by any means. If you are on the south bank of the river on that stretch you will get more out of looking at HMS Belfast, Southwark Cathedral, Borough Market, Golden Hinde, Winchester Palace, Shakespeare's Globe, and Tate Modern. All much more interesting than City Hall. Just a short walk further west from Tate Modern and you get to the National Theatre, British Film Institute, Southbank Centre, County Hall, and London Eye.

Thebrit0068 is right, plot your attractions on a map to see what is near to what.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
3 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3.5 days in London

Thanks for your answers! I will think about making Greenwich trip a one-day :)

Well, I go to London the next week from Monday to Thursday and I've put Tower Bridge for Monday because of its opening times. (and I guess we can't go to Tower of London on Monday because we wouldn't arrive there early enough).

Because Tower of London doesn't qualify for the 2-4-1 at the moment, I don't think we will use Travel card for any discounts. Thanks for the useful link with explanation. It seems it's worth buying 7-days Travel Card - but is it possible to buy only at the national rail station? I would like to get it somewhere around Baker st., where we arrive from Stansted.

6. Re: 3.5 days in London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2015, 07:16