We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Olympic Pool Visit?

Newcastle upon...
Destination Expert
for Newcastle upon Tyne
Level Contributor
1,784 posts
150 reviews
Save Topic
Olympic Pool Visit?

Hi, I'm interested in swimming in the Olympic Pool.

I know from the website the main pool is used for lane swimming and the 'warm up' pool for lane swimming or just general stuff.

My question is can you go between the two? as I am only really interested in saying I've been in the main pool but don't necessarily want to plough up an down the whole time

Any advice from anyone that has visited would be much appreciated.

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,233 reviews
from US$125.50*
Best Seller
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
437 reviews
from US$104.30*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,069 reviews
from US$148.10*
Best Seller
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
624 reviews
from US$100.10*
London, United...
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Olympic Pool Visit?

There are sessions with a cost attached and each session is in one pool or the other. So you would have to pay separately to use the main pool, I think there are even separate changing areas for the two pools, but I can't remember perfectly.

The training pool varies between being lap swimming in lanes, family fun (with big inflatable things to climb on) and general sessions. Make sure the right one is on when you want to go. All are listed on the website, where you can also book in advance. Sessions do get fully booked, particularly at the weekend.

London, United...
Level Contributor
805 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Olympic Pool Visit?

If you go to the main pool and are not a great swimmer use the first lane as there ridges in the sides to stand on for a rest, there are plenty of slow people in this lane but remember the pool has no shallow end. The training pool looks a bit gloomy to me whereas the main pool has the diving board to watch and is bright and airy.

Winchester, United...
Level Contributor
498 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Olympic Pool Visit?

+1 to training pool looking dark and gloomy and main pool looking a lot nicer

Newcastle upon...
Destination Expert
for Newcastle upon Tyne
Level Contributor
1,784 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Olympic Pool Visit?

Thanks very much for the replies, I will have a better look at the website now you have all given me an idea what to expect

Newcastle upon...
Destination Expert
for Newcastle upon Tyne
Level Contributor
1,784 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Olympic Pool Visit?

Thanks very much for the replies, I will have a better look at the website now you have all given me an idea what to expect

London
Level Contributor
1 post
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Olympic Pool Visit?

The competition pool is also somewhat more subdued than when it first opened to the general public as there is a blue covering over the south facing windows. I asked a member of staff why this was and she said there was too much glare from the sunlight.

A magnificent pool inspite of this disappointing addition.

Sevenoaks, United...
Level Contributor
261 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Olympic Pool Visit?

book a session in olympic pool (which is amazing!) and then if you want to wander across to training pool nobody will get too upset !

8. Re: Olympic Pool Visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2015, 07:16