We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taxi at the airport

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
South Africa
4 posts
Save Topic
taxi at the airport

We are arriving London on Thursdays through Gatwick. I need a taxi from the airport to central London (Ibis hotel). Is it best to book ahead of arrival or just get one at the airport upon arrival?

London, United...
Level Contributor
553 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: taxi at the airport

Take the train - far better than taxi or hired car

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,786 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: taxi at the airport

It's a horrible journey from Gatwick by road - the train is more comfortable and faster. If you have some reason why you really want to drive then yes you should pre-book.

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,482 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: taxi at the airport

a pre-booked car service to central London will cost at least 50 pounds and its a 90 min journey

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: taxi at the airport

Take the Gatwick Express to VICTORIA and then a BLACK CAB to hotel (NOT A MINI CAB)

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,482 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: taxi at the airport

Gatwick Express is an expensive way to get to Victoria station

Which Ibis are you staying at ?-there is more than one in London-and you might not need to use Victoria

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
9,649 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: taxi at the airport

The Southern trains from Gatwick into Victoria Station are all of 1-6 minutes slower than the Gatwick Express and cost considerably less. The Gatwick Express makes sense only if you are arriving at the morning rush hour and/or have really stupid amounts of luggage.

If you hotel is not near Victoria, it may make more sense to take a First Capital Connect train to London Bridge or an FCC train (the Brighton to Bedford one) to stations at Blackfriars, London Bridge, City Thameslink, Farringdon or St. Pancras (next to King's Cross).

While it make sometimes make sense to book a car service from Heathrow to central London, it almost never makes sense to be driven to or from Gatwick if you are arriving/departing at a time the trains are running.

I did take a car once when we needed to be at the Airport by 5 am, but that was quick because at 4 am the London traffic is fairly light.

South Africa
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: taxi at the airport

Thanks to everyone who offered their suggestions. I had 2 kids ( 11& 9) and 4 luggages as we were coming from South Africa. We ended up taking Gatwick express to Victoria and then a cab to ibis.... total cost = 55 pounds vs 98 pounds I was quoted at the airport for a taxi. I was scared of the train as this was our first time in London but it wasn't bad at all.

8. Re: taxi at the airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2015, 05:17