We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kensington High Street apartment to Waterloo Station

Australia
Level Contributor
142 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Kensington High Street apartment to Waterloo Station

Hi, we are looking at a lovely apartment near to Kensington High Street but for the week we are in London we will be going to Ascot Races at least once. I have been told Waterloo Station is the best to leave from. However it seems a bit of a journey to get there ( and then back again!).

My dilemma is; do I look for a different apartment to make it easier or is there an alternative to Waterloo Station that would make the journey easier?

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,601 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kensington High Street apartment to Waterloo Station

I suppose it's not the most straight forward public transport journey in London but compared to most cities in the western world, it's really very easy.

Circle line to Westminster then Jubilee line to Waterloo. Allow about 30 minutes.

There is an alternative route that is easier in London (Circle line in the other direction to Paddington, train to Reading and another train to Ascot) but it would take about 10-15 minutes longer and cost about £10 more.

If you truly think the apartment has your name on it (!) then don't let one tube journey put you off.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,663 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kensington High Street apartment to Waterloo Station

On which date(s) are you planning on going to Ascot (just so we can check for engineering works)?

All routes being fine, from High Street Kensington I would take the District line to West Brompton, change to the London Overground to Clapham Junction, and pick up the Ascot train from there. There are usually two trains per hour to Ascot (posted as Reading) but on race days they may run additional services.

How you ticket your journey to Ascot will depend on what your plans are for London (Oyster PAYG, one day travelcards, seven day National Rail travelcards). So please let us know more.

Australia
Level Contributor
142 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kensington High Street apartment to Waterloo Station

Thank you both for your very helpful replies.

With regard to ticketing, I haven't looked into that yet as we still have 10 months to go.

I imagine I will find some information from previous forums on that subject.

4. Re: Kensington High Street apartment to Waterloo Station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2015, 06:17