We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thames Cruise = Seasick?

L.A.
Level Contributor
318 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Thames Cruise = Seasick?

It sounds like fun to take a Thames Cruise. Can you recommend one - not dinner - just a cruise.

Do people get seasick on them?

Thanks, cb

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath from...
5,358 Reviews
from US$131.10*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
2,128 Reviews
from US$139.80*
US$155.40
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros Harry Potter Admission...
515 Reviews
from US$118.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
477 Reviews
from US$349.20*
London, United...
Level Contributor
829 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thames Cruise = Seasick?

I have taken one from Westminster to Greenwich and didn't get seasick and I am a terrible sailor. Greenwich is a good place to go to by boat as there is the naval college museum and Cutty Sark there so many boat related things to see and do, the trip to Kew or Hampton Court is alsogood but all depend on decent weather!

London, United...
Level Contributor
553 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Thames Cruise = Seasick?

Its a slowish smooth journey on a gentle river. More likely to get seasick riding on the top deck of a double decker bus twisting around London's streets

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,513 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thames Cruise = Seasick?

Seasick? Are you serious? It's a river not the Bay of Biscay

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
47,840 posts
1,543 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thames Cruise = Seasick?

+1 for the Greenwich tour.

The museums are worth the cost and time alone: http://www.rmg.co.uk/

And, no seasickness on the Thames - at least not that I have ever encountered.

Good luck,

Hunt

antioch
Level Contributor
1,967 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thames Cruise = Seasick?

I am also interested in a Thames River cruise, I looked at Thames,Clippers, but they get fairly mediocre reviews here on TA and the inside with 9 seats across each row looks like a 747 plane. a few others suggestions appreciated.

Edited: 13 August 2014, 23:15
r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
7,840 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Thames Cruise = Seasick?

cb222,

motion sickness will vary with individuals. So your question isnt out of place.

If you dont know if you will get sea sick and havet been on a boat, you will be the first to know. afaik, there isnt any way of telling w/o actually doing.

good luck and have fun.

London, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thames Cruise = Seasick?

I am very sensitive to motion sickness and often get sea sick on boat trips however have always been fine on thames cruise even on days with horrible weather

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,151 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thames Cruise = Seasick?

One of my work colleagues became very unwell on one of these boat trips, I was perfeclty fine and could barely feel any swell.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,128 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thames Cruise = Seasick?

>>>>"I am also interested in a Thames River cruise, I looked at Thames,Clippers, but they get fairly mediocre reviews here on TA and the inside with 9 seats across each row looks like a 747 plane."<<<<

The Clippers are a river extension of Transport for London........buses on water if you like. They aren't supposed to be fun cruise boats, they're speedier, don't have running commentaries and commuters and visitors use them as an alternative to Tube or road transport........and I use them as a more relaxed way of reaching Thames side locations.

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,845 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thames Cruise = Seasick?

I like the City Cruises one for a tour sort of cruise (although it's been a few years). If I just want transportation, I take the Thames Clippers. I have felt sick on them, but I am very prone to motion sickness. I think it might have been worse on the Thames Clippers. Not sure if that's because they go faster or because the seats are inside.

Edited: 14 August 2014, 03:12