We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which location is the best? Bayswater or Shepherds Bush?

Norway
Level Contributor
181 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Which location is the best? Bayswater or Shepherds Bush?

We are staying in London from 24-28 september and have looked at these budget hotels, Hyde Park Boutique hotel in Bayswater and Ibis hotel in Sheperds Bush. Which area would you prefer?

We will do the usual touristy stuff and will be all over London anyway. I do like to have some shops,restaurants and pubs nearby the hotel, so where to stay?

Thanks

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
27,994 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which location is the best? Bayswater or Shepherds Bush?

Neither are ideal. Please post your nightly budget.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
38,298 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which location is the best? Bayswater or Shepherds Bush?

I've no idea what the Hyde Park hotel is like, but the area is fine....I would have no problem staying there...close to public transport

London
Level Contributor
2,088 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which location is the best? Bayswater or Shepherds Bush?

Both are fairly equal.

Batswater is more central, but Shepherds Bush is only a little further out. So that is 1-0 to B

B has the Whitley Shopping Centre but SB has the huge Westfield Centre. 1-0 to SB.

B is near Hyde Park, SB is near Holland Park. 1-1.

So I would choose the nicer hotel.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,304 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which location is the best? Bayswater or Shepherds Bush?

Of those two Bayswater is the better option, but I would say there are vastly better hotels/areas elsewhere.

London, United...
Level Contributor
393 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which location is the best? Bayswater or Shepherds Bush?

Of these two options, Bayswater is much closer to the West End for walking and/or using the bus. However, both are on the central line so if you're taking the tube the difference is less than 10 minutes.

I live in the Paddington/Bayswater area and as lovely as it is, if your criteria is having lots of shops, restaurants and pubs around, there may be other areas that would fit the bill. On the other hand, if you're looking for a more quiet, residential, yet easily accessible neighbourhood that is slightly off the beaten track and comes with a gorgeous park out your front door, Bayswater it is.

London, England...
Level Contributor
63 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which location is the best? Bayswater or Shepherds Bush?

Bayswater much better location for touristy stuff

London
Level Contributor
840 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Which location is the best? Bayswater or Shepherds Bush?

'Bayswater much better location for touristy stuff'

...But Bloomsbury and some other areas would be better still. I've always considered Paddington and Bayswater to be a bit out on a limb for both sightseeing and fun nights out.

Norway
Level Contributor
181 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which location is the best? Bayswater or Shepherds Bush?

Our budget is about 115 GBP pr night. We can get bouth of the hotels above for about 98 GBP.

Do you know of budget hotels for about the same amount in better locations?

Bouth hotels gets good reviews on Tripadvisor.

Edited: 14 August 2014, 18:08
London
Level Contributor
840 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Which location is the best? Bayswater or Shepherds Bush?

Here is one in the Bloomsbury/Kings Cross area that gets good reviews and is quite high up the ratings.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186338-d2545…

There are quite a few like this in that area. Howard Winchester and the Jesmond (not the same as the Jesmond Dene) are others that have been mentioned favourably.

Edited: 14 August 2014, 18:33
Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,537 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which location is the best? Bayswater or Shepherds Bush?

There are some fairly good Travelodges in central London now. I have had a quick look at their website for your dates and among others the Travelodge City Road and Travelodge Waterloo are well within your budget. I have stayed at the City Road one myself and thought it very good indeed.