We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dangers and annoyances in London

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
2 posts
Save Topic
Dangers and annoyances in London

Hi everyone!

I'd like to know more about safety precautions in London. By that i mean any parts of the city that should be avoided, certain pubs/venues, late night tube riding, walking late at night, muggers, dealers, etc...

thanks!!!

1. Re: Dangers and annoyances in London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2006, 20:26
Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dangers and annoyances in London

Avoid dark alleys

take care with back packs around Oxford Street

don't put your phone on the table at a restaurant

Late night tubes are probably more safe than the day time as there are more people around.

Pedestrians mind out for cyclists, cyclists mind out for pedestrians stepping out with out looking

Annoyances - people who drag small cases behind them and expect everyone to walk looking at the ground and then moan when you kick or trip over them !!!!!

2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dangers and annoyances in London

Jack1066 - what's the problem? i don't get it

London, England
Level Contributor
3,042 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dangers and annoyances in London

also don't put bags over back's of chairs in restruants/pubs......keep them near your feet furthest away from any exit doors.

From what I hear, keep an eye on your drinks in clubs. Usual stuff really, if travelling alone I wouldn't tell people the exact location of hotel I'm staying in etc in a public bar, things like that, but I guess that applies to many cities.

WA State
Level Contributor
267 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dangers and annoyances in London

Use common sense and the normal precautions when in any major city. I feel very, very safe in London.

If you can refine your questions to a specific area or subject, it would be easier to answer.

The answers that I would be able to give to the whole scope of your questions would be strictly subjective. The London Police department probably has more overall, current information available on the whole city.

northern Virginia
Level Contributor
700 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Dangers and annoyances in London

When crossing the street, look right-left-right instead of left-right-left.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,750 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dangers and annoyances in London

When crossing the street, look down at your feet. It's painted on the kerb whether you should look left or right, if the traffic is one-way.

And anyone who comes up to you offering "preeeety girls" is lying. They aren't pretty.

And don't eat hot dogs from street trolley vendors.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
116 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dangers and annoyances in London

Ah Bobelinks, you make me laugh!

Might the hot dogs have come from the not-so-preeety girls? <snicker>

Bangalore
Level Contributor
70 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dangers and annoyances in London

Beware of the tube escalator fast lane drivers who expect you to stay to the right (?) even if it's clogged. When it's not clogged they'll chase you out but, more often than not, you'll see them again on the platform when you reach it.

Bangalore
Level Contributor
70 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dangers and annoyances in London

Seriously, London is pretty safe if you take reasonable precautions (I've been going there for years). I read up forums like this one for advice on the locations where I am staying or going to which really helps and follow the usual do's and don'ts, the most important being to try to avoid looking and acting like a tourist.