We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Covent Garden Market - Which Day?

L.A.
Level Contributor
318 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Covent Garden Market - Which Day?

We will be in London Fri. Sept. 5 to Fri. Sept. 12 when we leave for York. We are 2 adults who love to browse shops and markets.

What is the best day to go? Less crowds?

Thanks, cb

Buckingham Palace
Castles, Historic Sites, Gardens, Points of Interest & Landmarks
California
Level Contributor
4,230 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Covent Garden Market - Which Day?

I really like Mondays because there are more antique type odds and ends to browse rather than handmade arts and crafts. Also, the adjacent Jubillee Market will usually have vendors with knick knacks to sort through too.

Edited: 16 August 2014, 05:13
Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
9,102 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Covent Garden Market - Which Day?

All stalls turn out on saturdays and sundays however it usually gets crazy busy at weekends so I usually go midweek mid morning.

London
Level Contributor
111 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Covent Garden Market - Which Day?

Covent Garden is busy everyday. The best time to go is in the mornings, when the crowds are less. The Piazza, which is the large square with the old building in the middle, is mainly full of shops and restaurants, aside from a small section in the north hall called the Apple Market. This has arts and crafts sellers, of varying quality. The actual market area is called Jubilee Market and is in a red brick building to the south of the main Piazza (furthest away from Covent Garden tube station). There is an antiques market there on a Monday, a general market Tuesday-Friday with arts and crafts at the weekend. I wouldn't advise going to the general market, as it isn't very good, and there are much better markets to head to like Portobello, Camden and Borough Markets.

Rutland, UK
Level Contributor
6,253 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Covent Garden Market - Which Day?

Do you know you'll be in London when the Tall Ships come to Greenwich, and also moored at the Wood Wharf near Canary Wharf and the Woolwich Arsenal pier? The dates are the 5th to the 9th, I think, and as the weekend is likely to be extremely busy in Greenwich, you might want to save going there till Monday. I mention all this because it could impact on when you go to Covent Garden.

5. Re: Covent Garden Market - Which Day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2015, 06:16