We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Area around Euston London Station

new york
Level Contributor
400 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Area around Euston London Station

I am looking to book the Thistle Euston for a trip with my daughter this coming October. The hotel fits the bill in what we are looking for and the reviews look good and is near the Pancras station which we will be using for a day trip to Belgium.

However, I have seen some subtle comments on some reviews about the area around the hotel being a little rough and a not well lit for female travelers at night. Given that we will probably return very late from Belgium, this concerns me a bit.

Could someone tell me a little more about the area?

Thank you in advance.

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,061 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Area around Euston London Station

I've walked around that area by myself (female) and with my 16 y/o daughter plenty of times. We've never gone actually down Cardington St, as we've always been going the other direction (towards St Pancras) but it is perfectly well lit in front of the station and then down towards St Pancras. I would not have any concerns staying there (assuming it's the Thistle Euston that google maps to Cardington St).

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,038 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Area around Euston London Station

The area's OK and well lit as most of London is, but rather dull and lacking some of the cafe/restaurants that make a place more convivial though you're near Drummond St if you like Indian food. There is a large derelict office building nearby and some social housing which maybe leads to 'rough' comments.

There are probably better hotels for St Pancras anyway; you do not need to restrict yourself to Cardington St esp for the rest of the trip.

East Coast
Level Contributor
172 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Area around Euston London Station

ia_b ~

DW & I stayed at the Ibis Euston, just down the street (a two-minute walk, if that) from the Thistle Euston, earlier this year, and found the area perfectly fine--not "dodgy" or "sketchy" at all. In fact, as a hotel base, I much prefer this part of London to the areas around Paddington Station and Victoria Station favored by many tourists. You're just off the northern edge of Bloomsbury, just a few minutes' walk away, Lots of bus routes converge at Euston Square Gardens, and of course there's tube service on several lines from Euston itself. There are lots of small chain shops and restaurants at or adjacent to Euston Station, and a number of Indian restaurants on Drummond Street.

Returning to our hotel on foot after dark (though admittedly not very late at night), I'd say that 99 percent of the people we encountered were commuters (businesspeople), university students, and tourists. Walking from St. Pancras along Euston Road to Cardington Street and your hotel, you'll be on a well-lit and well-travelled thoroughfare.

The only "problem" with the location of the Thistle might be the noise (loudspeaker announcements re. train arrivals & departures) emanating from Euston Station itself, directly across the street from the Thistle. If possible, try to get a room facing away from the station.

As for the "subtle comments on some reviews about the area around the hotel being a little rough and a not well lit for female travelers at night... Well, the area around Kings Cross and St Pancras Stations used to have a bit of a dodgy reputation, but with the recent renovations to both these stations, and with new buildings and businesses in the area, the area has unquestionably improved and gone somewhat up-scale. The Thistle, facing the side of Euston Station, may not be in the most "scenic" setting, but don't let that deter you. The advantages of this location certainly outweigh any disadvantages. (And if you're feeling tired or just don't want to walk to the hotel when you arrive back at St. Pancras at the end of a long day in Belgium, you can always take a taxi. The four-minute ride won't break the bank.)

East Coast
Level Contributor
172 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Area around Euston London Station

ia_b ~

Just one further thought: Have you checked the Pullman London St. Pancras? A tad more expensive than the Thistle Euston, but I see (on their TripAdvisor page) that they're currently advertising a "special offer"--a discount of 50% off the second night's stay:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g186338-d192068…

The Euston Road location might be ideal for your purposes--a three- or four-minute walk from St. Pancras Station, with just the British Library between the hotel and St. Pancras.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
666 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Area around Euston London Station

I've stayed at that Thistle twice - the last time was in order to catch a train. (I am female, stayed with my daughter both times.) Mornings are not my time and I don't like missing trains.

The area to the north is dull and empty, hence you would have no reason to go there anyway. Approaching from Euston is fine. There is a tiny park after the Ibis, but it doesn't seem to attract loiterers. For a short cut, go through the station and exit on the west side conveniently passing the Police.

Level Contributor
3,305 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Area around Euston London Station

I'm not a huge fan of the Thistle. The location is not exactly unsafe but it's very dreary. It's about five minutes up the road from Euston.

I stayed there one night and found the walls really thin, to the extent that I was woken at 5 by the noise of someone boiling a kettle and stirring coffee next door. The hotel felt busy and soulless.

The Pullman would be a much better choice - or even the Premier Inn, which at least has a more central location.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,420 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Area around Euston London Station

What we are saying in a nutshell is area fine but hotel rather bleh - you could probably do better for not much more money...or possibly less in the case of the two Premier Inn's located close to both Euston, St Pancras and Kings Cross stations.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,038 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Area around Euston London Station

Depending on price another vote for the Pullman, although as I implied earlier, depending on the rest of your itinerary there is no need to stay quite so near anyway. Many hotels in Bloomsbury which is also walkable to St Pancras or a short cab ride if you need to be there at silly o'clock.

new york
Level Contributor
400 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Area around Euston London Station

Thank you for all the replies. This has been very helpful. I did look at the Pullman and it is my first choice but it is above our budget and the offer unfortunately does not apply to our travel dates. It looks like the Premier Inn has opened a new hotel at St. Pancras so I will take a look at that one as well. If that does not work out, then the Thistle will have to be and at at least my concerns about the area have been reduced. I guess I will need earplugs. That's terrible the walls are so thin and I am a lite sleeper.

East Coast
Level Contributor
172 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Area around Euston London Station

>>>I did look at the Pullman and it is my first choice but it is above our budget and the offer unfortunately does not apply to our travel dates. It looks like the Premier Inn has opened a new hotel at St. Pancras so I will take a look at that one as well. If that does not work out, then the Thistle will have to be and at at least my concerns about the area have been reduced. I guess I will need earplugs. That's terrible the walls are so thin and I am a lite sleeper.<<<

In that case, the Premier Inn London Euston indeed might well be your best choice in terms of location (just a six- or -seven-minute walk along Euston Road from St Pancras Station, and on the doorstep of Bloomsbury), budget, and quality. It looks rather soulless from the outside, but generally gets very positive reviews:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g186338-d215522…