We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelcard, Oyster, 2-4-1?

Cape Girardeau...
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Travelcard, Oyster, 2-4-1?

My husband and I will be in London for 12 days, and most of what we want to do will be within Zones 1-2. I've read through different threads about which type of "card" to use. From what I can figure out (from the thread explaining how to blend using an Oyster with a travel card), we should buy an Oyster card at Heathrow and top it off for the journey in to our hotel, then use it again to go to a rail station to buy travel cards to use for our trips within Zones 1-2. My questions:

-Our hotel is in Kensington. Which is the closest rail station sells travel cards?

-Should we buy two 7-day travel cards each? Or should we each buy a 7-day pass and then buy another one when that expires (wasn't sure about activating it, etc.)?

-How are 2-4-1 deals redeemed? Do you just present your travel card when you're purchasing admission or do you prepay for your attractions online?

Just trying to figure out if it's easier to just load two 7-day travel cards onto an Oyster - it seems a little complicated to use an Oyster AND a separate travel card just for the sake of the 2-4-1 deals, but if they really save a lot then we'll do that.

Thank you for your help - it's been about 10 years since I was last in London and I'm trying to get it all straight. :)

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,382 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelcard, Oyster, 2-4-1?

1. Depends where in Kensington - probably Victoria

2. Either - it makes no difference. They don't need 'activation'

3. You present your two travelcards along with a voucher you have downloaded from the days out website or from a leaflet picked up at a station. You cannot (with a few exceptions) buy/reserve in advance - it's turn up and pay

Depends where you visit - but there is the potential to save A LOT with the 2 for 1 offers

2. Re: Travelcard, Oyster, 2-4-1?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2015, 07:16