We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mother Daughter Afternoon Tea x 4!!!!

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
113 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Mother Daughter Afternoon Tea x 4!!!!

My mother and I will be in London for four days in September. We plan on having tea everyday if possible! No husbands means we can eat teacakes and finger sandwiches for our main meals!

We will have tea one afternoon at the Queens Diamond Jubilee Tea Room at Fortnum & Masons.

Any other must dos? Maybe some affordable hidden gems?

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,260 reviews
from US$126.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
457 reviews
from US$105.50*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,086 reviews
from US$149.70*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$301.60*
US$335.10
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
45,965 posts
1,452 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mother Daughter Afternoon Tea x 4!!!!

I have enjoyed the Afternoon Tea at:

The Savoy

The Ritz (does not get a lot of love from some)

Claridge's (check that it has not been removed from the program)

The Dorchester

The Connaught (before the refurbishment)

The Hilton Park Lane Podium (a rather odd "Chocolate Afternoon Tea," but maybe different enough to be interesting?)

While we have never done Fortnum & Mason's version, I hear that it is quite nice.

Enjoy,

Hunt

PS - we are "daft Yanks," so take my comments with a grain of salt please.

Edited: 19 August 2014, 03:44
London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,340 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mother Daughter Afternoon Tea x 4!!!!

Love your project. My daughter and I loved afternoon tea at Liberty's in the dim dark days when they had a terrific tea room.

Total luxury: Claridge's or, only slightly less wonderful, the Savoy. It may, however, be too late to get a reservation if you are coming in September. Try a weekday but be prepared for high costs.

Brown's Hotel is very pleasant.

The Goring is praised, but I haven't tried it yet.

Hidden gem: Capital Hotel, good food, good service in a smallish quiet room.There are no "timed slots" so go when you want to spend the afternoon talking and eating. It is more relaxing than most and if you reserve now, you have a good chance of getting a reservation.

capitalhotel.co.uk/restaurantbar_afternoonte…

(Although this gem isn't quite so hidden as we have had several TALF teas there and the word has spread)

Edited: 19 August 2014, 07:24
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
298 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mother Daughter Afternoon Tea x 4!!!!

Are you looking for classy afternoon tea for the three other days? Or a mix of things? While it wasn't high tea or anything, I had an enjoyable time here with yummy scones and cats! They also had a bunch of other delicious-looking baked goods, though I couldnt eat any of them due to food allergies. http://ladydinahs.com/

Ossett, United...
Level Contributor
2,946 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mother Daughter Afternoon Tea x 4!!!!

I have had tea in the afternoon (but not Afternoon Tea) at Fortnum and Mason's, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I've had Afternoon Tea at The Capital, Mari Vanna and The Montague on the Gardens, and of the three far and away prefer the Montague for service, décor, taste - and quantity! :blush:

Mari Vanna advertises AT, and the décor is deliciously, lacily over the top! but when I took a friend a couple of years ago, it was a bit disappointing - very few savouries, very sweet cakes that looked different but tasted the same. The waiter didn't seem to know of AT but on the other hand they only charged us for one tea, although two ate it! Maybe they've got their act together a bit better now.

Enjoy your project!

5. Re: Mother Daughter Afternoon Tea x 4!!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2015, 07:17