We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Really confused re bus transportation

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Richland, Washington
Level Contributor
123 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Really confused re bus transportation

As a first-timer to London, I'm finding the bus transportation fares and payment descriptions totally confusing:

We are a family group ranging from 16 years to senior citizens. Our first bus trip will be from Paddington Rail Station to Russell Square on a Saturday. Don't expect to need any more transportation that day.

On Sunday, we'll be taking the bus to visit some of the tourist attractions in London, i.e. Tower of London, Churchill War Rooms, etc..

That's it! So how do I most economically buy and pay for bus transport around the city on these 2 days only?

Thank you so much for helping!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,618 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Really confused re bus transportation

'We are a family group ranging from 16 years to senior citizens. Our first bus trip will be from Paddington Rail Station to Russell Square on a Saturday.' If this is arrival day and you are considering taking the Heathrow Express then please think again. Not only is it one of the most expensive rail journeys in the world, but taking the HEX to Paddington when your destination is Russell Square is counterproductive.

'Don't expect to need any more transportation that day.' Will you be arriving late in the day, or are you completely certain that you will travel no further than you can under shanks's pony on that day?

'So how do I most economically buy and pay for bus transport around the city on these 2 days only?' You have a few options.

If you will travel by bus only and if you are certain you will use neither the Underground, Overground, DLR or National Rail services then you may use PAYG on Oyster with the daily cap for bus use only £4.40. Should you not wish to obtain Oyster cards - each person in your group will need one - then you may buy one day Travelcards, which *do* allow use on all modes of transport in zones 1 - 6. One day off peak cards cost £8.90, with weekends off peak at all times.

Should you want to make your transport payment type do twice the work, buy one day Travelcards at a National Rail station - Euston, St Pancras and King's Cross are all near Russell Square - and use them for transport as well as for the offers at www.daysoutguide.co.uk

Please let us know more about your visit: whether you are flying to Heathrow on Saturday, where you've booked to stay near Russell Square and how you will leave the city on (presumably) Monday. Let us know as well if you wish to use the two for one offers.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,205 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Really confused re bus transportation

It looks like the arrival at Paddington is from Newbury.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k77098…

Richland, Washington
Level Contributor
123 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Really confused re bus transportation

Thank you sincerely for sharing your expertise, and the 2for1 site is a brand new one to me. Looks interesting!

On a Saturday, we will be training from Newbury to Windsor, then Windsor to Paddington. Busing then to a hotel within walking distance of Russell Square. Sightseeing around London Sunday by bus. Leaving by Eurostar on Monday. Hope that's a better picture ~

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,205 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Really confused re bus transportation

In that case, as TravellerPlus suggests get Oyster cards at Paddington tube station. Load minimum £6 (I'd suggest £10) and that will give you the bus daily cap, assuming you do indeed take buses only.

What time is your Eurostar departure from St. Pancras? You'll need to return the Oysters at the Kings Cross St. Pancras tube station to get your £5 deposits (and any unused PAYG) refunded. That may take 20 minutes depending on the time of day.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,618 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Really confused re bus transportation

Thanks.

The number 7 from Paddington usually travels to Russell Square - but knowing the hotel you have booked would be very helpful - but is on diversion at present. That diversion is due to end on 22 August but we won't know until then if the 7 will return to its usual route. https:/…paddington.pdf

Again depending on the hotel you've booked the 7 may not be the best choice; the 205 along Euston Road may be a better option.

Richland, Washington
Level Contributor
123 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Really confused re bus transportation

Providing it was right, Rome2Rio said that the 7 was best. We're talking about the Holiday Inn Bloomsbury.

Hmmm . . . if it's on diversion, that doesn't sound good.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,618 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Really confused re bus transportation

If you've booked the HI Bloomsbury in Coram Street then the 205 will be a decent alternative to the 7. The walk from the stop at Euston station to the hotel will take no more than 10 minutes, probably nearer five. If you've booked the HI Bloomsbury King's Cross that's another matter entirely.

If you are not travelling until next month then the 7 should be back on its usual route to terminate at Russell Square, but again we won't know until at least Friday, 22 August.

Richland, Washington
Level Contributor
123 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Really confused re bus transportation

Bloomsbury, so we're good. :) I'll note the 205 is an alternative; hope the 7 is on track though.

So . . . it sounds like the Oyster card (4.40 cap) is a better value for us than the Travelcard (8.90) - is that right? So do I buy these at a train station counter . . . or machine???

Also, I keep hearing about zones 1-6 when it comes to trains. How far out does Zone 6 go please?

Thank you for sticking with me on this. It is really foreign to me.

Richland, Washington
Level Contributor
123 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Really confused re bus transportation

Sorry, I mean Coram Street. :)

Richland, Washington
Level Contributor
123 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Really confused re bus transportation

Just saw Portland's posts! Sorry, I didn't mean to ignore you.

The Oyster Cards sound time consuming. What about a paper ticket, which I've heard mention of?