We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Women and beer ettiquette question

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
USA
Level Contributor
6,981 posts
236 reviews
Save Topic
Women and beer ettiquette question

I need help from the locals, please.

Is it considered improper for a woman to drink a pint of ale? Is a woman expected to drink halfs? I have come across some hints that it is so. What's the official ruling?

In the US we have expert advice from Emily Post, Letitia Baldridge and my own favorite, Millicent Fenwick. Is there a similar UK expert to quote on my beer question?

Louisiana
Level Contributor
128 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Women and beer ettiquette question

Some London locals on a political message board on which I post gave me some advice about drinking beer if the woman is not a big beer drinker. I would appreciate you guys' advice about the advice (?)

Some said to order 1/2 pint of shandy, which is beer mixed with lemondade.....other said I would be a laughing stock.

Some suggested ordering sweet cider....others said I would be a laughing stock.

Any suggestions for ordering beer if you are not a big beer drinker, and the beer you DO usually drink is a Lite beer? While I am not desirous of being a laughing stock, I don't want to order a beer and hate it either.

Thanks

Nebraska
Level Contributor
5,940 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Women and beer ettiquette question

If it's improper for a woman to drink a pint of ale......then burn those etiquette books.

Although....on further thought.....it might be improper to drink A pint (should have read your post more carefully). Therefore, I shall continue drinking at least three or four full sized proper British pints in every pub I am privileged to enter (especially since Mick owes me a pint and Shaker is up to about five!)

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,750 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Women and beer ettiquette question

I have been told (by a woman) that a woman drinking a pint looks "common".

I think it depends a lot on the pub how usual it is, but it should not be unacceptable anywhere. Most women tend to drink wine or alco-pops anyway.

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Brighton
Level Contributor
4,437 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Women and beer ettiquette question

to some extent it kind of depends what part of the UK youre in, and whether rural or urban city- maybe. and then youve got those real ale snobs who'll say something else no doubt.

but down here it is quite acceptable and not all that unusual to see girls/women drinking beer/lager from a pint glass, tho its not particularly lady like.. to some.

Shandy (beer or lager) is perfectly acceptable to order, and to be ordered by the "half". Tho with cider nowadays, because its become a trendy drink, a bottle of Magners or Bulmers for eg is served in a large pint glass with ice, lots of girls drink that down here. We dont really do "lite" beers, tho some pubs serve alcohol free lager (called Kaliber) which is yuk!

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
503 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Women and beer ettiquette question

Fashions change, twenty or thirty years ago it was considered improper for a "lady" to drink pints and I recall some pubs even refused to serve them but today it is quite acceptable.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Women and beer ettiquette question

A (female) friend of mine is a great drinker of pints of all types, and I've never come across a pub in London or Cambridge where it was frowned upon - no one even bats an eyelid to be honest. I don't know, maybe in seriously chic places you might get the odd look for not drinking a Cosmopolitan - darling, how uncouth! - but really, you'll be fine. Order whatever you want :)

Nebraska
Level Contributor
5,940 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Women and beer ettiquette question

Anninla ~ before you order, ask the barkeeper to give you a sample of some of the ales, ciders, etc. They usually always will. And good ale is entirely different than the lite beer you are used to drinking...you may find that you like it. Do you drink wine? Or any other mixed drinks? Those are always available too.

L.A. 'burbs, CA
Level Contributor
1,591 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Women and beer ettiquette question

I will probably be hung for this, but Anninia I usually drink Foster's when in London. I am partial to my beer cold and I, too, only drink light beer at home. It is the closest thing to that I caould find, is a lighter taste and tastes awesome. I am also a lightweight, so it is a better mix for me. That being said, even though I can get it here Foster's tastes so much better sitting in a London pub than even sitting by my own pool!

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Women and beer ettiquette question

Anninla - just a thought re the sweet cider suggestion. If you fancy it, I very much doubt you would be a laughing stock. I'm not a big cider drinker but Magners is pretty popular with most people in my college bar - it does taste a bit like fizzy apple juice, though :).

If you're feeling adventurous, some places do 'special' beers. Again, I'm not a big beer drinker (spirits and mixers all the way for me, thank you very much), but at a pub in Clerkenwell called The Old China Hand they had cherry flavoured beer, which was... different! Quite good, though, if you're not such a fan of the actual beer flavour...

U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,150 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Women and beer ettiquette question

In this day and age.....

All I can say is...what's sauce for the gander...... :-)