We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hop on Off Bus and Walking tours

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
High River, Canada
Level Contributor
54 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Hop on Off Bus and Walking tours

My husband and I have 3 days in London mid September. We want to do one of the Walking tours and/or one of the Hop on Off Bus tours. I am wondering how repetitive they are and if one is better over another. One of the walking tours is 6 hours so that would pretty much take up a whole day. With only 3 days, we want to leave time for other sites.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
19,479 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hop on Off Bus and Walking tours

London Walks and Footprints of London have a number of walks of two hours duration.

www.walks.com

www.footprintsoflondon.com

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,035 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hop on Off Bus and Walking tours

A walking tour that lasts 6 hours?? Sounds like a bit much to me.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,858 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hop on Off Bus and Walking tours

Have you a link to the 6 hour tour? Too much walking and you will be exhausted and too much standing still will mean a bad back and not enough things seen.

A circuit on the HOHO bus will give you a good overview but could easily take 3 or 4 hours if traffic is bad.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,035 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hop on Off Bus and Walking tours

I did one of Richard Jones's Dickens walks (led by the man himself). I got it on a half price deal from Amazon Local, and would recommend it. Very interesting, and enjoyable. He's very pleasant to listen to, and has a good projection so I heard every word he said. That's the only one of his company's walks I've done though, so can't comment on the others and other guides.

Richard is an author too (apparently he's about to start work on a Dickens work, so he said), and I have a number of his books.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
268 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hop on Off Bus and Walking tours

The London Walks are about 2 hours unless you are doing one of there Days Out Walks ( out of London) then they can be 4 hours or so

Edited: 21 August 2014, 21:52
Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,035 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hop on Off Bus and Walking tours

>>unless you are doing one of there Days Out Walks ( out of London) then they can be 4 hours or so<<

Not exactly. You leave London around 9am (ish, depending on the tour), get two walks separated by an hour's break for lunch, then an hour or so for a wander around or museum visit, and then head back to London on the train around 5pm(ish). So all in all it's a full day.

High River, Canada
Level Contributor
54 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hop on Off Bus and Walking tours

The tour was from www.freetoursbyfoot.com. The tour is the London- All in One tour. It involves walking and taking the London Underground. We have done several walking holidays so 6 hours is not a problem. It is two tours that you can combine. We thought that we might find this more interesting than the bus tour. We have done bus tours in other cities and sometimes they did not meet our expectations.

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Yellowknife
Level Contributor
1,337 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hop on Off Bus and Walking tours

We had a day in London (but I had been there twice before) and did a HOHO, and loved it. Was relaxing and although we didn't get off, we circled back and went to see Buckingham Palace again. It was a great overview of the city and we feel like we didn't miss anything. But are headed back.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,858 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hop on Off Bus and Walking tours

If the guide is good then the 6 hour tour sounds a decent option especially as you are used to that sort of tour. It will certainly be a more personalised experience than the HOHO but you are dependent on a reliable and entertaining guide and it would not be impossible for you to plan a self guided walk yourselves.

High River, Canada
Level Contributor
54 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hop on Off Bus and Walking tours

We have decided on the walking tour. We could opt out at noon if we if we felt is was not up to our expectations. Reviews are good so we expect it will be a good tour.

Edited: 22 August 2014, 17:29