We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Speakers' Corner

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Malta
Level Contributor
446 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Speakers' Corner

Dear All

We would like to visit Speakers' Corner while in London. Is it still on Sundays? How do we get there? Any additional comments and suggestions are most welcome. Thank you.

California
Level Contributor
4,215 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Speakers' Corner

I'm curious as to your expectations of Speakers Corner. From what I read on this forum, it's not very interesting these days unless you enjoy being screamed at by a few religious fanatics.

The closest tube station is Marble Arch.

Edited: 22 August 2014, 18:06
London, United...
Level Contributor
9,086 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Speakers' Corner

The last few times I've passed by it was indeed as MChiddy suggests. Not very pleasant or interesting IMO.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,823 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Speakers' Corner

Speakers Corner is a shadow of its former self, don't bother.

California
Level Contributor
4,215 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Speakers' Corner

I should have mentioned that I do recognize the historical significance, but a lot has changed since then. These days there seems to be a higher level of the 'crazy' out there.....

Malta
Level Contributor
446 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Speakers' Corner

To be honest I visited last about 18 years ago and my wife has never been. So you think I should give it a miss? What is a good Sunday place to visit? Thank you all for you valid comments.

California
Level Contributor
4,215 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Speakers' Corner

I would think visiting one or two of the many markets would be a nice way to spend part of the day. I like Spitalfields Market in the City, or perhaps Portobello Road. Without knowing your interests, it's hard to make appropriate recommendations.

Essex
Level Contributor
26,991 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Speakers' Corner

Portobello is at it's best on Saturday. Sunday is nothing.

Go to the Sunday Up Market, or Camden.

Alternatively, have a "day out" to Greenwich, or perhaps Kew, Hampstead, Richmond Park....

Malta
Level Contributor
446 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Speakers' Corner

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. Sunday will be our last full day in London so we are aiming for an outdoor activity. Your suggestions will surely help us to make our minds.

Bushey, England
Level Contributor
317 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Speakers' Corner

Speakers' Corner is somewhat beset with Christian/Muslim pointless arguments but if you wander around the various speakers, you can find a few golden nuggets. You'll occasionally find science and philosophy guys and the odd student practising their debating skills. And of course, there are professional hecklers who only want to bait the speakers. It's worth going down for an hour but don't hang around too long.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
24,675 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Speakers' Corner

Long time since the repartee flourished up there.