We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

stationery stores and sketching in museums

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,510 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
stationery stores and sketching in museums

Hello all, I'm going on a short visit to London in a couple of weeks. I like to sketch and I have a weakness for paper and pens and cute crafty things so I was wondering:

-- Any suggestions for interesting stationery or pen stores? Not office-supply kinds of stores, but ones where I might find something with a little more character. I'll be staying near trafalgar square so anything within a short walk or a subway ride from there would be doable.

-- The National Gallery web page says they allow drawing in the galleries but I couldn't find that information about the British Museum. Does anyone know if it is allowed?

Thanks!

London
Level Contributor
2,084 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: stationery stores and sketching in museums

The Cass art shop between Leicester Square and Trafalgar Square might be interesting for you - they'll probably be having a sale in a couple of weeks: www.cassart.co.uk/locations/charing_cross

I can't remember if I have ever seen anyone drawing in the BM, but I've also never seen anyone being stopped from doing it either.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,525 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: stationery stores and sketching in museums

I love the stationery selection at Fortnum & Mason. Once the Christmas shop starts, the stationery on display is cut back significantly, though.

I'd be surprised if the British Museum didn't allow sketching, but most museums have restrictions on painting in the galleries.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Brighton, Nice
Level Contributor
6,210 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: stationery stores and sketching in museums

Not just painting. If you're in a loan exhibition, rather than in a gallery within the permanent collection, then pens aren't allowed either. Usually, though, they allow you to sketch with pencils.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
3,019 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: stationery stores and sketching in museums

Shepherds, a bookbinding shop near Victoria stations, is well worth a visit, you can Google their website.

As far as I know all National museums welcome sketching, as one of their main purposes for display is to assist people with their studies and experiments - which includes The British Museum.

There are many small private art galleries - you would need to approach them directly - preferably beforehand.

Southampton, UK
Level Contributor
1,520 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: stationery stores and sketching in museums

ana_devel: Do not forget to visit the Wallace Collection in Manchester Square - it is behind Selfridges which is in Oxford Street. As an art lover you will surely appreciate it. The collection is much smaller than the National Gallery and the British Museum but entry is also free.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,241 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: stationery stores and sketching in museums

There was a chap sketching in the BM last night when I was there. No easel, just standing over a Chinese scroll with a pad in hand.

Enjoy yourself.

London, United...
Level Contributor
875 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: stationery stores and sketching in museums

With a pencil and a small sketch pad im sure it will be fine.

As long as its not something like this lol: http://tinyurl.com/l64lejl

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,510 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: stationery stores and sketching in museums

Thanks for the good suggestions everyone! Wow, some of the papers at the Shepherds web site look amazing. Maybe I will be making my return trip with a poster tube.

I tend to be pretty lightweight in my drawing (notebook and felt pens/colored pencils) so should not be too much in the way.

Thanks for the amusing photo Joe --really, the things people think of...

9. Re: stationery stores and sketching in museums

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2015, 05:16