We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone booked car/driver from London Walks?

northern Virginia
Level Contributor
700 posts
Save Topic
Has anyone booked car/driver from London Walks?

I emailed London Walks (website: http://www.walks.com/ ) nearly a week ago trying to book a car and driver to take me to Bury St. Edmunds, sent one follow up email since, and have heard absolutely nothing from them. Has anybody else successfully managed a booking with them?

I'm getting very desperate because I leave in about a month. Does anybody else have any other suggestions? I don't really need a guide because I know exactly where I want to go -- just car and driver.

Thanks....

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,231 reviews
from US$140.40*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
1,955 reviews
from US$144.53*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
512 reviews
from US$97.73*
Likely To Sell Out
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
812 reviews
from US$97.73*
Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone booked car/driver from London Walks?

I wouldn't have though a company which aranges walking tours and guided car tours of London was the best place to book a taxi for a 80 mile journey.

Where exactly in London are you starting from ?

northern Virginia
Level Contributor
700 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone booked car/driver from London Walks?

Mr. Cellophane, I am staying at the Marriott Kensington, but would be happy (as I told them in my email) to meet them anywhere I can get to by the tube, so I can be much closer to Suffolk.

And if you read their site, they very specifically mention drivers who go outside of London -- to the Cotswolds, etc. So it seemed doable to me. Even if it wasn't, a simple email saying they couldn't accomodate me and maybe giving me other suggestions would have been nice.

I considered taking a train to BSE, but I want to stop in Westhorpe on the way back. That is so small, I doubt they have train service.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone booked car/driver from London Walks?

Westhorpe Suffolk, I presume, as there is also one in Linconshire.

The Marriott should be able to recommend a car firm, but try and get 2 quotes as one might keep the car with you and another use different cars to each journey.

northern Virginia
Level Contributor
700 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Has anyone booked car/driver from London Walks?

Mr. Cellophane, thank you. I will look into it. I just hoped to have the trip nailed down before I left instead of having to spend valuable time negotiating this after I got to England. I am deeply disappointed that London Walks never even bothered to respond to my emails since I have heard nothing but good things about them on the London forum.

And yes, I do mean Westhorpe, Suffolk. It is, as I understand, about 17 miles west of BSE. I am trying to track down the archeological remains of Westhorpe Manor where Henry VIII's sister Mary lived after she married the Duke of Suffolk. I think I have it located on the Ordinance maps, but I'm not absolutely certain and Westhorpe, small as it is, is a bit too large for an infinite amount of walking.

Oh, and I promise not to do any trespassing! If I can't get permission to look around the grounds, I will just see what I can with my small binoculars from the public road. Though Mick Aston from TimeTeam says he never bothers to ask permission, he just goes whereever he fancies *L* I am so looking forward to seeing TimeTeam again on television there. BBCAmerica took it off here :o(

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,244 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Has anyone booked car/driver from London Walks?

The Original London Walks are great for walks and guided tours but I would think it a waste to use them for what it sounds like you need.

Try googling London Airport Transfers or Chauffeur Hire and e-mailing a couple of the companies you come across to compare prices. Just make sure you give them as much information as possible as I would suspect they charge by the hour as well as distance. I had a quick google and it looks like rates could start at around £300 per day.

I would be happy to call someone on your behalf if you prefer. Just e-mail me at adamhornets@yahoo.com

northern Virginia
Level Contributor
700 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Has anyone booked car/driver from London Walks?

adam, that is far and above what you should have to do for me. I really appreciate it though. This is a holiday weekend in the US, and I have plenty of time to search the net. I have a few leads that I am going to try. If I can't arrange anything, I will definitely drop you an email.

I guess travel gets difficult anywhere when you try to go off the beaten path of regular tourist destinations. It's just that I've been to London enough times to have seen almost all the sights I am genuinely interested in. Have to admit that I am drooling over the Holbein exhibit that is opening at the Tate Britain this month! That's top of my list of things to see.

BTW, to adam and anybody else from the board who would like to have a mini-gathering any time between Oct. 6 and Oct. 15, I'll be glad to stand you to TWO rounds of pints!

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,244 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Has anyone booked car/driver from London Walks?

Sadly (or not) I will be away in The Pacific North-West from the 5th for 2 weeks but I know a few good folk could well be around including Bedlace who I has experince of planning TALF meets. Hopefully she will back from another trip in a few days and will be in a position to plan something.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,906 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Has anyone booked car/driver from London Walks?

Akat, Forgive me if I've got this wrong, but how about getting the train to BSE, and getting a taxi from there? Would have to save a few bob or two than getting a driver from London.

USA
Level Contributor
7,017 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Has anyone booked car/driver from London Walks?

I am surprised that a generally reliable firm like London Walks would not e-mail you a response. I wonder if your spam filters are not allowing them to contact you. If you are still considering them you might phone them at 020 7624 3978 (or 020 7794 1764).

Their link http://tinyurl.com/h26p9 sounds like it is not for you. It seems you are looking for transportation rather than a guide.

northern Virginia
Level Contributor
700 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Has anyone booked car/driver from London Walks?

"Gilliganuk: Akat, Forgive me if I've got this wrong, but how about getting the train to BSE, and getting a taxi from there? Would have to save a few bob or two than getting a driver from London."

I actually checked into this. I can get to BSE fairly reasonably though it seems to involve changing trains at least once in Ipswich and can't be done in a timely fashion. I'd be willing to try it, but from what I can see on a map of BSE, the train station is not very close to the Abbey grounds, St. Mary's Church and Moyse's Hall Museum where I want to go in BSE. Also, BSE is not London where I know it's easy to get a taxi at the train station. ( I'm still in awe by how well they handle Paddington at rush hour!)

I think it would be all-day ordeal to try this and get back to London .

Then there is the Westhorpe issue -- it's a tiny, and from what I can tell, REALLY tiny village. I'm not sure I could get a taxi from BSE to Westhorpe. And I doubt I could get one to wait for me while I looked at what I wanted to and then take me back to BSE for the dodgy train schedule.

I really do not want to be stuck out in the wilds of Suffolk with no way back to London. I am totally sure Suffolk is a wonderful place and the people who live there can negotiate it easily, but I've never been there and it would be difficult for me.

Also, I have an old hip injury that I don't want to aggravate by TOO much walking. I need to keep it to reasonable amounts.

Believe me, I have checked out everything I can think of in this regard and I think a car and driver are the only way for me to go at this time.