We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Marriott hotel in London

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Troy, Michigan
Level Contributor
63 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Best Marriott hotel in London

I'll be visiting London for five mites early June 2015. I would like to use my Marriott frequent traveler points for the trip. Can you recommend the "best" Marriott hotel to can be used as my base. My wife and I will be doing the normal touring (my first visit), e.g., major sightseeing, shopping, shows, etc.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,235 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Marriott hotel in London

I had the same question about a year ago.

Do you have status? Are things like executive lounges important to you? Marriott has a number of properties in central London. Several near the Marble Arch area. There is the Rennisance at St. Pancras. There is the St. Ermins. Also, the one at County Hall. Just to mention a few of them.

I got good advice elsewhere (well before I joined TA) and went with the Grosvenor House. I had Platinum status and was advised they treat platinums well. They did. Got a very nice multi category upgrade to a true suite. The executive lounge has since been renovated and expanded recently too (well after my visit). The location is OK, though I think the hotel at at County Hall is better situated for a lot of the major touristy sites. St. Ermins seems like a good location too, though there is no lounge if that's important to you. The one at St. Pancras looks great too. I was advised by others that that location wasn't ideal but after my visit to London I feel that it would have been just fine too. I think even the hotel in The City would have been OK too (Threadneedles, I believe)

In any case, London is an expensive hotel city so it can be a pretty good place to blow your Marriott Rewards points. And lots of good places in London to base your stay. It's harder to go really wrong when you are staying within the central part of London.

Troy, Michigan
Level Contributor
63 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Marriott hotel in London

Thanks for the recommendations. I have Platinum status and upgrades along with a lounge are a nice benefit. A good location is also important. Was it easy to get from the Grosvenor House to the major attractions or would you recommend the County Hall location.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,235 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Marriott hotel in London

Attractions are numerous in London and are spread out so that no one location is close to everything. Getting around from Grosvenor House was fine.You'll wind up using the tube, buses and other modes of transport to get around no matter where you stay. Marble Arch and Bond Street tube stops are nearby. Hyde Park Corner isn't too far either. Plenty of bus routes running along Park Lane too with stops near the hotel on both sides of the road.

That said, I really think the County Hall area is great. It's easier to tell once you actually get there and see it all in person.

Troy, Michigan
Level Contributor
63 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Marriott hotel in London

Jeff, thanks for your recommendations.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
186 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Marriott hotel in London

Thanks for posting as I am considering Marriott as well for an upcoming stay.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
45 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Marriott hotel in London

We are staying at the County Hall location when we come at the end of the month, we stayed there a few years ago and were very pleased with the location and how friendly the staff was. It was just an overnight stay (checked in at about 2pm and left around 5am the next day) so we didn't take advantage of the conceirge lounge or other amenities that are available to those with Platinum status, but are excited to try them out this time!

I really enjoyed the location, close to the tube so you can get just about anywhere else in the city and especially if you get a river view room its outstanding.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
24,258 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Marriott hotel in London

Location wise, County Hall.

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Marriott hotel in London

I think the best locations are London Marriott Hotel County Hall and St Ermin's Hotel, Autograph Collection.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
186 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Marriott hotel in London

I am leaning toward St.Ermins as that has been my backup hotel since I started planning my trip. County Hall is not in my budget. I know there is no lounge, but not sure we would use it that much anyway. Other Marriott choice is Grosvenor Square. Otherwise we will stay at a non-Marriott.

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Marriott hotel in London

Genuine question: for the benefit of someone who has never knowingly used a hotel lounge, what is it for? When I stay in a hotel (I always prefer an apartment) I tend to leave it as early as possible in the morning and come back to it as late as possible at night, only popping back for a shower and change of clothes and bags if I have something special booked for the evening that requires it (in fact, I would do the same in an apartment, except that I would also eat in the apartment).