We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recent post about Tudor historical buildings

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,240 posts
241 reviews
Save Topic
Recent post about Tudor historical buildings

Someone recently asked what buildings could be visited in London which related to this period of history. Sorry, I can't find the post now but I know several other people were interested.

Yesterday I visited Sutton House in Hackney, which is the oldest house in East London, dating from 1536. It's not enormous but it is interesting, built by Ralph Sadleir who was Thomas Cromwell' s no 2 and had his portrait done by Holbein. Apparently he made a fortune out of supplying the Field of the Cloth of Gold.

I thought people might like to know. Here's a link.

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/sutton-house/

Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,345 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recent post about Tudor historical buildings

And try the (even smaller) Queen Elizabeth Hunting Lodge (1543) at Chingford, too....

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Recent post about Tudor historical buildings

Also the Queen's House at the Tower of London, which the yeoman warder said is the only Tudor building in London. I don't think that information is absolutely accurate (Hampton Court Palace is Tudor and is in London), but it's certainly something of a rarity.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,474 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recent post about Tudor historical buildings

Walthamstow also has a fine Tudor House (which I believe was more than one house for part of its history), though it's not open to the public as far as I know.

thetimes.co.uk/tto/…article2872214.ece

Just further evidence, if it were needed, that some things you hear at the Tower of London should be taken with a pinch of salt!

Edited: 26 August 2014, 17:35
Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,113 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recent post about Tudor historical buildings

>>Also the Queen's House at the Tower of London, which the yeoman warder said is the only Tudor building in London. I don't think that information is absolutely accurate (Hampton Court Palace is Tudor and is in London), but it's certainly something of a rarity.<<

Also, Sutton House, as mentioned earlier. And the Gatehouse of St. Bartholomew the Great, near Smithfield Market. Only viewable from the outside afaik.

Boulder
Level Contributor
169 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recent post about Tudor historical buildings

Could the warder have meant "The City of London" as in the old city?

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,853 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recent post about Tudor historical buildings

Isn't HCP in Surrey and not, strictly speaking, in London? Happy to be corrected if that's wrong.

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Recent post about Tudor historical buildings

No, Hampton Court Palace is in the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames, a part of Greater London. I think that the confusion arises because its post town is East Molesey, which *is* in Surrey. However, Surrey actually lies across Hampton Court Bridge on the south bank of the river, which at this point represents the boundary between Greater London and Surrey.

Edited: 26 August 2014, 21:31
Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,345 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recent post about Tudor historical buildings

Wansteader, the Ancient House at Walthamstow hasn't been open to the public since the 70s, when it was a bookshop. It's still a fine sight, however, and the ambience of Walthamstow Village is well worth a visit. The almshouses and old Monoux Grammar School, other side of the church, are also Tudor (except the bit that was rebuilt after war damage)

Christchurch, NZ
Level Contributor
27 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recent post about Tudor historical buildings

Re #7 - Isn't HCP in the Royal London Borough of Kingston-upon-Thames......hence the postcode KT8 9AU and the 'Royal' borough. I'm KT born & bred and always thought HCP was part of that borough....although I have been exiled for 21 years and something may have changed???

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,046 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recent post about Tudor historical buildings

Yes, HCP is in the Royal Borough of Kingston-upon-Thames - although Hampton Court Station isn't, as it is on the other side of the river in East Molesey, Surrey! It is within the London Travecard Zones however, one of a few examples where the zones stretch beyond the Greater London boundary.

Incidentally the KT postcode covers communities in both Greater London and Surrey. When the County of Greater London was created the General Post Office, as it was back then, was asked to change all the postal addresses and postcodes within Greater London to London ones. However the GPO refused, as the cost to the business of doing so would have been colossal.