We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I have to tap out when switching transportation methods?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Do I have to tap out when switching transportation methods?

I hope this makes sense:

I have a pay as you go oyster card, if I take the tube to Stratford, get off the tube and go to take the DLR to get to my final destination do I have to tap out of the tube and then tap in to the DLR and then finally tap out at the DLR of my final destination? Or can I get off the tube and simply walk over to the DLR without tapping out?

I want to know if I will I be charged for one journey or two?

Edited: 26 August 2014, 21:27
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,313 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I have to tap out when switching transportation methods?

tap in at the start and tap out at your final destination

<<can I get off the tube and simply walk over to the DLR without tapping out?>>

yes

Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,170 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I have to tap out when switching transportation methods?

Yes - but if you use the Overground at Stratford, you need to touch your Oyster on the pink readers at the head of the stairs to Platforms 1 and 2 to pay the correct through fare.

At other stations, eg Shadwell on the DLR and LO, or changing between the two Edgware Rd LU stations, you may have to touch in and out again on the yellow readers, but the computer recognises the OSI (out of station interchange) and only charges you for the one journey

Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
8,244 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I have to tap out when switching transportation methods?

Yes remember to tap the pink 'route validator' otherwise you'll be charged what could be a much more expensive journey via zone 1.

Eastlake, Ohio
Level Contributor
593 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do I have to tap out when switching transportation methods?

When I get on a bus, I know I tap the Oyster card. Do I also tap when leaving bus?

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,629 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do I have to tap out when switching transportation methods?

No you don't.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,565 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do I have to tap out when switching transportation methods?

Maybeeee123,

Where are you coming from (on the tube) and going to (on the DLR)? I'm puzzled as to why people are mentioning pink Oyster validators which are only necessary if you are taking a route that avoids zone 1.

As to the answer, at Stratford you can (and should) go straight from the tube platform to the DLR. Stratford is a unified station with all platforms (tube, DLR and National Rail) behind one set of barriers. That's not the case at all DLR stations with interchanges but at Stratford it's okay.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,345 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do I have to tap out when switching transportation methods?

The Oyster system will figure most of this out for you. I had an instance last month where I broke my journey to pick something up at my office. I touched out of Bank station and then in again about 10 minutes later. When I looked at my journey history online later, it showed one single journey without mentioning the change at Bank.

Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
8,244 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do I have to tap out when switching transportation methods?

yes rbgs...being a bit of a geek i looked at allowed times for osi. they're not officially published but there's a blog that suggests some osi they allow you upto 25 minutes to change stations and still be classed as one journey.

London, UK
Level Contributor
21 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do I have to tap out when switching transportation methods?

I would touch the reader whenever you see one. It is particularly important when changing from the Underground or DLR onto National Rail. On the Overground touch the pink readers to indicate you are not passing through the more expensive Zone 1. Touching a reader will not cost you anything but failing to touch one could result in you paying the maximum fare for a zone 6 journey.

10. Re: Do I have to tap out when switching transportation methods?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2015, 05:16