We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best area to stay for 4 nights

Western Australia...
Level Contributor
60 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Best area to stay for 4 nights

Hi,

My husband and I will be in London July 2015 and it will be our first trip to Europe.

Can anyone tell me best areas to stay in?

We arent interested in being around any clubs/pubs or too touristy areas. We do like nice resturants & would be great if they could be fairly close to our hotel. We do walk a lot on holidays so would be great if we could be somewhere that we can walk to most places. Any tips on shopping would be great too!

London, United...
Level Contributor
387 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best area to stay for 4 nights

Good for you for planning ahead! You'll be in a good position to make bookings.

The hotels/areas also depends on your budget; are you looking to spend hundreds of pounds per night, or keep it under 3 figures? While you certainly can walk all over London, you're exchanging time while you do that. I can walk from Chelsea to the Tower of London in under two hours, but I can do it on the tube in 20 minutes and use that extra time for seeing and doing interesting things. Also keep in mind that London neighbourhoods can vary in fabulousness from street to street, so google view the exact address when you finally get to the narrowing down stage.

Pretty much anywhere in zone 1 or 2 will be fine and within a reasonable striking distance of most things on your list.

What kind of shopping? There's a massive Westfield mall in Shepherds Bush that's really nice, and of course Oxford St has Selfridges, Primark, and John Lewis. Knightsbridge has Harrods and Harvey Nichols which are both v lux and spendy. Portobello Market is good for fun small things and antiques. Hamley's on Regents St is good for kids and toys, and the options abound for food shopping.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
56,315 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best area to stay for 4 nights

Personally, I love Bloomsbury, but as has been said much will depend on your budget.

Western Australia...
Level Contributor
60 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best area to stay for 4 nights

Thanks for all the info. We're pretty happy with spending about AUD250-300 per night. I hope this gives us plenty of options. Also aiming for around the 4 star mark. Not really interested in designer shopping but funky clothing, shoes, accessories etc

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
27,367 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best area to stay for 4 nights

Another vote for Bloomsbury. Please post your budget in sterling.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,047 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best area to stay for 4 nights

'We're pretty happy with spending about AUD250-300 per night. I hope this gives us plenty of options.' Sadly, it does not.

Hotel prices will be shown and charged in sterling, no other currency. Use www.oanda.com or www.xe.com to calculate the (fluid) exchange rate, please. Bear in mind that the UK star system is based on facilities rather than specifics of the accommodation itself.

Let us know if you will travel to and from London by air or by rail, and if the former which airport you will use. Let us know as well if your stay will be during the week or at the weekend.

Western Australia...
Level Contributor
60 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best area to stay for 4 nights

We'll be taking the train from Paris to London. We arrive on a Friday & will be there for 4 nights.

Western Australia...
Level Contributor
60 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best area to stay for 4 nights

170 Sterling a night

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,141 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best area to stay for 4 nights

Have a look at this list of hotels, prepared by TexScott-II

https:/…edit

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
27,367 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best area to stay for 4 nights

I'd stay in the new Holborn PI, and enjoy dinner in here with the change.

www.denisesrestaurant.co.uk/

10. Re: Best area to stay for 4 nights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2015, 05:16