We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Musical/Play (Shakespeare in Love?)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Topic
Musical/Play (Shakespeare in Love?)

We were looking for tickets to a ballet show when we are in London for a few days mid-September. Unfortunately it looks like the days we have, there isn't any, or they are sold out (Sept 12, Sept 17 & 18). The BBC proms is sold out as well.

So we were looking into a musical or a play. We were thinking of one of the long running ones (Wicked, Phantom of the Opera) or Shakespeare in Love: The Play.

Has anyone seen Shakespeare in Love: The Play? Any reviews? From what I understand it is only out till October and isn't in NYC now, so this would be a 'unique' one we couldn't see in NYC.

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,264 reviews
from US$126.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
461 reviews
from US$105.20*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,087 reviews
from US$149.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
465 reviews
from US$300.60*
London, United...
Level Contributor
5,559 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Musical/Play (Shakespeare in Love?)

The press reviews when it opened were all very complimentary and positive. If you enjoyed the film then I am sure you will enjoy the play . My wife and I certainly did. I would not be surprised if the run is extended because I think it is selling well and the day we went the theatre was full.

London, United...
Level Contributor
10,099 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Musical/Play (Shakespeare in Love?)

I haven't seen it but normally if the show was only intended for a short run it says 'limited season only' . I'm guessing that the booking period will be extended, given the reviews.

Both Wolf Hall and The Curious Incident..... are excellent but I believe the latter is about to open in NYC.

Edited: 31 August 2014, 16:55
Roeselare, Belgium
Level Contributor
1,719 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Musical/Play (Shakespeare in Love?)

We're seeing Shakespeare in Love two weeks from now, so I can report back from personal experience then. But as said, both the reviews and the audience responses have been favorable. Group bookings can already be made uptil February 2015, so unless it starts struggling financially (no signs at this point), I don't see it closing before that time.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Musical/Play (Shakespeare in Love?)

Thanks everyone! I am glad to hear from people who actually went that it was good! The plot of The Curious Incident sounds intriguing, will add that to our list to check into tickets for.

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,825 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Musical/Play (Shakespeare in Love?)

I've seen Shakespeare in Love. If you like the film you will also enjoy the play. However, I was surrounded by people who could not switch off their phones and played on them throughout. So clearly not everyone was enthralled.

6. Re: Musical/Play (Shakespeare in Love?)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2015, 06:16