We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short London Trip Itinerary check?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Topic
Short London Trip Itinerary check?

Thank you to everyone on this forum! I had not discovered this yet on a prior trip to London in 2009. Now I am going back mid-September with a friend who hasn't been before, and I am armed with lots of tips from the forum! I have an itinerary I think I like, am wondering if you have any comments/suggestions!

Day 1 (Friday) - evening only - British Museum since it is open later on Fridays.

Day 2 (Wednesday):

Tower of London

Borough Market for a later lunch (either walk Tower Bridge or bus RV1)

Westminster Abbey (am a little worried how crowded this could be)

London Eye

Shopping (Primark?)

Dinner

Day 3 (Thursday):

St. James's Park

Changing the Guard - Buckingham Palace

Kensington Palace Orangery - lunch (bus from Green Park to corner of park)

Kensington Palace Tour

Walk through park to Harrods

Harrod's

Show at 19:30 (undecided on which one yet, but will be somewhere around Leicester Square)

Day 4 (Friday - sadly, have to go home):

Leave bags at Victoria left luggage

Buckingham Palace state rooms early tour - 9:30 or 9:45

Tube from Victoria to Heathrow T5 (changing at Hammersmith, found this on the forum)

Flight at 16:35

The Tower of London and Kensington have the 2-4-1 deals, but I don't think the 7-day travel card will be the most cost effective option, I think it will be a pre-loaded oyster card since there is the capping. I still need to price it all out though.

In addition to the itinerary, have some questions:

1. Day 1 - dinner after the British Museum? Not looking for any super fancy restaurants, maybe somewhere with a view along the Thames?

2. Day 3 - where to go to eat after the show? Was looking for a pub where we could have some drinks, mingle about, get a snack to eat?

3. Day 4 - if we leave BP around 12/12:30 that should be enough time to get from Victoria to Heathrow T5?

Thank you for your help!

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,264 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short London Trip Itinerary check?

Three quick answers to three quick questions.

1) It's your arrival day so don't make too many plans (and definitely don't book anywhere) as jet leg could play a part in how you feel. I think you might do better to eat in the locale of the British Museum. Plenty of good options within a five minute walk.

2) Most pubs will stop serving before the shows end so you might have to make do with a packet of peanuts or crisps (chips). Restaurants are more likely to be open later and Chinatown is within a stones throw of many west end theatres.

3) You should be looking to be check in around 1.30 so leaving Victoria at 12.30 will give you enough time to reach Heathrow by tube. Do allow enough time to retrieve your luggage.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Short London Trip Itinerary check?

Thanks! I thought I had this in there but must have removed it - Friday we are getting in to King's Cross from spending a week in England already so we will be well adjusted to the time by then!

I've never done the left luggage thing before - is it pretty easy to drop bags off and then pick up? If necessary we can leave BP a little earlier.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,264 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Short London Trip Itinerary check?

It's a straight forward process not unlike checking in your bags at an airport but with a x-ray machine. Any delays are likely to be caused by a lot of people doing the same as you which is something that is impossible to tell in advance.

London, United...
Level Contributor
804 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Short London Trip Itinerary check?

Wetherspoons pubs serve until 11 there is one in Leicester Square - The Moon Under Water - don't expect great food though, it is very much 'ping and fling'!

Sweden
Level Contributor
194 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Short London Trip Itinerary check?

Day 1, I would head to Covent Garden for dinner, drink and a nice stroll :)

For dinner after the show, I know I have seen set post theater menus somewhere... But mayby better to eat before, and just go for the drinks afterwards?

6. Re: Short London Trip Itinerary check?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2015, 06:16