We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cell phone & Sim Card

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
188 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Cell phone & Sim Card

I am going to London and Paris. My husband and I would both like to have an unlocked cell phone, obviously with a Sim Card that will work in both places. I can barely wrap my head around how this works but have read lots of stuff and think I am getting it. Can anyone give me exact advice as to what worked for you most recently? What type of phone? Where did you buy it? Did you have to buy a separate Sim Card? We don't want to pay a lot...just want the opportunity to be in contact with each other, if needed. Thanks.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cell phone & Sim Card

Toggle worked fairly well for me in London for a week with a day trip to Paris. I went with it because it seemed to be one of the better multi-country options out there.

Do you need a lot of data? Or is it just to call and/or text people both at home in the states and people/businesses in the UK and France? Toggle is UK based, but will also give you local numbers in several other countries (France is one of them). The rates for calling and texting are decent. It's all "PAYG". You just put a balance on your card and charges deduct from that for each call/text/ For data, you can buy data bundles for the UK. Not sure if they have roaming data bundles now (they did not when I used it last December)

I actually obtained the toggle SIM from Amazon prior to traveling. I did have to pay for it. But if you can hold out and obtain the SIM when you get into London, then you should be able to get them for free. I had an unlocked phone I used (Google Nexus 5)

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,413 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cell phone & Sim Card

You go to Carphone Warehouse, Phones4U (see their websites) or any major supermarket, hand over about £10 for each phone and £10 for top-up for each phone.

These will work in London and Paris but you will pay roaming (higher) fees in Paris including for receiving calls. Receiving calls in the UK is free (caller pays). Some tariffs have free calls to other phones on the same network; some have packages for cheaper roaming.

London
Level Contributor
10,319 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cell phone & Sim Card

You don't need to know which phone. Just go to one of the shops suggested (and they are everywhere), explain what you want, and they'll sort you out.

£10 per phone plus about £10 for some airtime is your guide price.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
188 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cell phone & Sim Card

Thanks for your replies everyone. It helps a lot.

5. Re: Cell phone & Sim Card

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2015, 05:16